Seriously, somebody give Hannah Storm a sandwich...
Mizzou 103, Chattanooga 75. A near-flawless second half led Mizzou to an easy win. You can see what Mike Anderson's system looks like in this game--the other team knows what we're going to do and does everything it can to stop it. And then about 16 minutes into the game, they get mentally exhausted and the game comes crumbling down. Box Score! Thoughts...
- This is going to be a free-shooting, streaky team, but...31 3's is probably too many when only one person is actually making them. Matt Lawrence went 4-for-8 from long-range (which was great to see), and the rest of the team went a tidy 6-for-23.
- Kim English went only 3-for-8 from the field and 2-for-5 from 3-point range, but his energy late in the first half bought Mizzou some distance before halftime. And then the starters stomped on the throat to start the second half.
- Marcus Denmon's shot failed him last night (0-for-5 from 3-point range, 2-for-8 overall), but he still contributed 5 assists, 3 steals, 2 rebounds and only 1 turnover. That's good to see.
- Good Leo: 25 points on 12 shots, 5 offensive rebounds, 4 assists. That's Fantastic Leo right there.
- 21-for-36 from the FT line is poor, but here's why I'm okay with it: Leo and Demarre Carroll went 14-for-18. They're going to take a majority of our FTs this year, and over time the guards will shoot just fine there (you have to figure the G's will be in the 70% range). If Leo and Demarre shoot 78% for the year like they did last night, we'll be in good shape.
- I liked Justin Safford's line--5 points, 4 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block and 1 assist in 13 minutes. That's the perfect contribution from him.
All in all, just a nice effort against a team that was making some lucky 3's and staying in the game for a while.
Chattanooga wrap-up links!
- PowerMizzou: Lyons leads Tigers to Puerto Rico
- The Trib: Tigers don't sleep on Mocs
- The Missourian: Second half flurry sends Tigers to win over Chattanooga
- KC Star: Lyons and Carroll lead Mizzou roar
- Post-Dispatch: Lyons, Carroll lead Tigers' charge
- Chattanooga Times Free Press: Missouri beats Mocs by 28
- Steve Walentik: Postgame thoughts
It took a while to get the paperwork in, but Mike Anderson has officially locked down Signee #2 of his 2009 recruiting class. 6'10 F/C Keith DeWitt has become the third Anderson signee (after Zaire Taylor and Justin Safford) from Charis Prep School in Goldsboro, NC. DeWitt's name emerged late in the recruiting process, but he seemed to end up drawing quite a bit of interest, with offers from OU, OSU, West Virginia, N.C. State, Florida State, Marquette, and others.