As we look toward the next 'real' game on the schedule, let's check out the box score goodness from last night...
|Points Per Minute
|Points Per Possession (PPP)
|Points Per Shot (PPS)
|(Assists + Steals) / TO||2.07||0.70|
|Expected Offensive Rebounds||10||13|
|Eq. Rebound Margin||+4||-9|
- Centenary and SIUE have certainly allowed Mizzou to pad their rebounding stats a little bit. Looking at Expected Offensive Rebounds, Mizzou is +8 the last two games; opponents are -18.
- Meanwhile, 14 turnovers is more than you want to see against a team like Centenary, but the 21 assists cover up for that a bit.
- And of course I'll always take a 66.7% 2-point percentage...
|Matt Lawrence||16.24||0.60||18 Pts, 3 Reb, 3 Ast|
|DeMarre Carroll||10.63||0.51||15 Pts, 3 Reb|
|Leo Lyons||10.18||0.42||10 Pts, 7 Reb|
|J.T. Tiller||9.00||0.41||9 Pts, 4 Reb, 4 Ast|
|Zaire Taylor||7.97||0.33||1 Pt, 5 Ast, 4 Reb, 3 Stl|
|Keith Ramsey||7.08||0.54||2 Pts, 2 Reb, 2 Ast, 2 Stl|
|Justin Safford||6.05||0.50||8 Pts, 4 Reb|
|Miguel Paul||6.05||0.36||5 Pts, 3 Ast|
|Jarrett Sutton||2.21||2.21||Yet another 3-pointer in 1 min|
|Marcus Denmon||1.62||0.14||5 Pts|
|Laurence Bowers||1.33||0.27||4 Pts, 2 Reb|
|Kim English||0.15||0.01||0 Pts, 2 Reb|
|Michael Anderson Jr.||-0.44||-0.07||0 Pts, 0 Anything|
|Steve Moore||-2.80||-0.70||2 Reb, 4 Fouls...in 4 Minutes!|
EqPts = a take-off of the Net Equivalent Points idea discussed last week. Taking points, assists, rebounds (offensive & defensive), steals, blocks, turnovers and fouls into account, the team's points are re-distributed to figure out who had the biggest impact on the game itself, instead of just how many balls a player put through a basket. I can go into detail on the formula if anybody asks, but for now just know that that was the intent.
- Look at the Grey Goose (called "A-Rod" last night by a bitter mcboomofdoom, ahem), not only making shots but actually filling up parts of the rest of the box score as well. Even if he's not making his 3's, if he can put up 3-4 boards and 2-3 assists a night, I'll take that...
- I've said this before, but at some point Zaire Taylor's going to need to prove that he's something of a scoring threat. Yes, he scored 11 against Illinois, but...how many of those game when the game was close?
- Another nice night for Jaureth Bamford (Keith Ramsey + Justin Safford + Laurence Bowers), putting up 14 points, 8 boards, 2 assists and 3 steals in 30 minutes. I think Jaureth will be the key to winning winnable road games like the one in Athens this Saturday.
Alright, noon on Saturday is the next 'real' game on the schedule...Georgia has already lost to Loyola-IL (by 21) and Texas A&M-CC (ouch), and Mizzou should by all means be able to take out the 8-4 Bulldogs, but you never know how these late-December/early-January road games will play out...I'll never forget my first year in Columbia, where Mizzou beat Maryland on December 30, lost by 55 in Manhattan four days later, and then pummeled Texas on Big Monday just two days later. This is the most unstable time of year...we'll see what happens...