This week's futile attempt at ranking the 25 best teams in America, once again, open for debate and change:
- USC remains at No. 1, no surprise there. But I made the move of OU to No. 2, something I'd been considering all offseason but didn't have the guts to pull the trigger on until now.
- Ohio State remains at No. 6 by virtue of no one being able to pass them up. The win against Ohio was wholly unimpressive.
- Wisconsin gets docked a small bit for the slow start against Marshall, but I just think Texas and Auburn are more complete teams at the moment.
- Penn State gets a nice bump as I have completely underestimated its offense before this week.
- I atone for snubbing Oregon last week by shooting the Ducks straight up into the Top 20.
- East Carolina makes its debut at No. 19, with the fighting Skip Holtzes absolutely smothering free-falling No. 20 West Virginia. West Virginia joins the 20-21-22 rotation of talented teams with losses in the first two weeks.
- I wanted so badly to drop BYU out of the Top 25, but they hang in there with the final spot. The additions of Oregon and ECU cost Tennessee and Cincy their spots.