Was there a basketball game last night?
- The Trib: Oral Roberts shocks Missouri
- The Missourian: Missouri men's basketball team loses in final seconds
- KC Star: Mizzou falls flat at Oral Roberts
- Post-Dispatch: Another bump in the road for Tigers
- PowerMizzou: Tigers road woes continue in Tulsa
CFN.com: 2009 CFN All-Freshman Defensive Team
DE Aldon Smith, Missouri – Although it’s early, Aldon appears ready to be the next great Smith to rush the passer in Columbia, joining Justin and Brian, who starred for the Tigers within the last decade. A relative unknown before the season began, he’s erupted for 59 tackles, 18.5 tackles for loss, 11 sacks, and five pass break ups.
The Trib (Dave Matter): Gabbert drops pledge to Huskers
PowerMizzou: Pre-visit 2010 hot board
Double Extra Point: Tyler Gabbert Decommits from Nebraska
PowerMizzou: Gabbert set to visit
PowerMizzou: Tigers in on the nation's elite
PowerMizzou (Gabe): Powered Up: The sudden change
It has long been hypothesized that you have to wait two full years for success on the field to translate to a breakout recruiting cycle. Now, that doesn't hold true for teams that are good year in and year out. Traditional powers like Oklahoma will easily survive an off-year like 2009. But for a team that has not traditionally been among the nation's better teams-like Missouri before 2007-you need to sustain success for a while before it bears fruit in recruiting. We always thought that, but this year is proving it true.
Missouri has now won eight games in the regular season for four consecutive seasons. There are fewer than 15 teams in college football who can say that. And now that they've done it with two different quarterbacks, with different players every single position (not one player who will start the Texas Bowl was a starter for the 2006 Sun Bowl), Missouri has proven it can sustain success. Recruits are taking notice. It didn't happen as quickly as some fans would like, but it has happened.
We've said it before, and we'll say it again: if you have EVER thought about giving PowerMizzou a shot, December and January are the time to take the plunge. Great info every day, and lots of detail about the next two weekends, which are becoming two of the bigger recruiting weekends Mizzou has ever had.
Big 12 Links
- Austin American-Statesman: Mack Brown gets raise, will be highest-paid college coach
- Daily Oklahoman: OU cornerback Dominique Franks to return for senior season
ESPN.com (Bruce Feldman): I voted for Ndamukong Suh No. 1 for Heisman
A hearty welcome back to Mr. Feldman, by the way, who has QUICKLY returned to work after back surgery...
Other Mizzou Links
- MU Basketball Recruiting
Rivals.com: Missouri makes a move in Big 12
Best perimeter scorer: Tony Mitchell, Missouri
Best low post scorer: Tristan Thompson, Texas
Best passer: Phil Pressey, Missouri
Best shooter: Ricky Kreklow, Missouri
- Houston Chronicle: House panel passes college football playoff bill
- Searching for Billy Edelin: Why John Wall is bad for college basketball
- EDSBS: OUR (ND) NATION TURNS ITS LONELY EYES TO YOU, RON PRINCE