As we put a wrap on the roller coaster ride of a rebuilding season in 2009, I've decided to ask for the community's help in fashioning the 2009 Mizzou All-Season Team. Just like I did in 2007 before the Cotton Bowl, putting together the All-Season Team will help recognize the top performances of the season at each position this past year.
Today, we'll take the top two performances from Missouri defensive tackles. Of course, interior line is one of the hardest positions for amateur eyes to evaluate, so, by all means, please feel free to point out performances I missed in the comments. Nominees after the jump.
NOMINEES (in chronological order):
- Jaron Baston vs. Nevada: It seemed to be an ultimate hit or miss game for Baston. On paper, Mizzou's interior line performance is pretty damning, having surrendered 218 rushing yards. However, that total was 127 yards and 37 percent less than Nevada's season average. We're not in the business of exalting "better than average," but those 218 yards weren't all on Baston's rap sheet. In addition to the pass breakup and the sack, it's notable that only two of Baston's tackles resulted in gains of more than one yard.
THE LINE: Six tackles (two unassisted), one tackle for loss, one sack, one pass breakup
- Dominique Hamilton vs. Baylor: The Missouri defense was, ahem, questionable (to say the least) against Baylor, but Dominique Hamilton was quietly fantastic against the Bears. He created a pretty consistent surge up the middle -- something Mizzou severely lacked for most of the season -- against Baylor even though his contributions frequently went for naught. Hamilton followed this up with another solid performance the following week, posting another eight tackles at Kansas State.
THE LINE: Eight tackles (3 unassisted), one tackle for loss, 1.5 sacks
- Terrell Resonno vs. Iowa State: Yikes -- it was slim pickings at this point. Resonno finished with 13 tackles (4 unassisted) on the season, including three multi-tackle games (3 vs. UT, 3 vs. Kansas State, and 3 vs. Iowa State). Resonno had tackles for loss in only the Bowling Green and Iowa State games, although his TFL against ISU was credited as assisted. The only crossover there was the Iowa State game, so -- boom -- nomination accomplished.
THE LINE: Three tackles (one unassisted), 0.5 tackles for loss
2009 Missouri Tigers All-Season Team
- Quarterback: Blaine Gabbert vs. Illinois
- Running Back: Derrick Washington vs. Kansas
- Wide Receiver: Danario Alexander vs. Kansas
- Wide Receiver: Jared Perry vs. Furman
- Wide Receiver: Jerrell Jackson vs. Iowa State
- WR/RB: Wes Kemp vs. Illinois
- Offensive Line: Offensive line vs. Kansas
What wins your vote for the defensive tackle contribution to the 2009 Mizzou All-Season Team?
Baston vs. Nevada (30 votes)
Hamilton vs. Baylor (29 votes)
Resonno vs. Iowa State (16 votes)
75 total votes