As we put a wrap on the roller coaster ride of a rebuilding season in 2009, I've decided to ask for the community's help in fashioning the 2009 Mizzou All-Season Team. Just like I did in 2007 before the Cotton Bowl, putting together the All-Season Team will help recognize the top performances of the season at each position this past year.
Today, we search out a performance by a cornerback other than Carl Gettis to round out the All-Season defense. I went through but opted not to nominate any performances by Trey Hobson, Robert Steeples, or Munir Prince, although I'm sure all three had moments that are just escaping me at the moment. But, as always, feel free to nominate other performances in the comments. Nominees after the jump.
NOMINEES (in chronological order):
- Kevin Rutland vs. Iowa State: The tackle numbers are perhaps deceptively inflated, as Rutland ended up having to do a lot of mop-up duty downfield past the first down marker. Rutland's pick of Austen Arnaud gave Mizzou the ball on its own 45, setting up the Tigers to go 55 yards in six plays to take a 7-0 lead on a Derrick Washington touchdown run.
THE LINE: 7 tackles (all unassisted), 1 interception
- Kip Edwards vs. Kansas: I've really tried to avoid inserting bias into the nominations throughout the voting process, but it's going to be hard not to throw my full support (and incredibly little amount of weight) behind Kip Edwards' performance against Kansas. I've mocked previous votes that were subject the "KU Bump," but Edwards was one of Mizzou's best defensive players at Arrowhead on a day that wasn't exactly the MU defense's finest (Anyone else getting sick of seeing me type that?). Not only did he get the courtesy interception thanks to the pure brain flatulence of Todd Reesing, but he came up with two third down pass break ups that forced Kansas punts. Play like that from one of My Guys could be a potentially huge step in the development of the Missouri secondary heading into the future.
THE LINE: 2 tackles (1 unassisted), 2 passes broken up, 1 interception (10-yard return)
2009 Missouri Tigers All-Season Team
- Quarterback: Blaine Gabbert vs. Illinois
- Running Back: Derrick Washington vs. Kansas
- Wide Receiver: Danario Alexander vs. Kansas
- Wide Receiver: Jared Perry vs. Furman
- Wide Receiver: Jerrell Jackson vs. Iowa State
- WR/RB: Wes Kemp vs. Illinois
- Offensive Line: Offensive line vs. Kansas
- Defensive End: Aldon Smith vs. Colorado
- Defensive End: Brian Coulter vs. Nevada
- Defensive Tackle: Jaron Baston vs. Nevada
- Defensive Tackle: Dominique Hamilton vs. Baylor
- Linebacker: Sean Weatherspoon vs. Colorado
- Linebacker: Andrew Gachkar vs. Kansas
- Linebacker: Will Ebner vs. Kansas
- Cornerback: Carl Gettis vs. Kansas
- Safety: Jasper Simmons vs. Kansas State
- Safety: Jarrell Harrison vs. Kansas State
- Cornerback: Vote today!
What wins your vote for the second cornerback's contribution to the 2009 Mizzou All-Season Team?
Rutland vs. Iowa State (14 votes)
Edwards vs. Kansas (40 votes)
54 total votes