I typically try to throw together a Links and Reflections post the day after games. Today I'm breaking up the links and the reflections. Expect an extended piece later on, but for now here are the links. And audio!
- MUtigers.com: No. 24 Mizzou Shuts Out Colorado, 26-0
- The Trib: Tigers bid Buffs farewell with blanking
- KBIA Sports Extra: Missouri improves to 5-0 with shutout of Colorado
- The Missourian: Missouri football defeats Colorado 26-0 in first Big 12 conference game
- KC Star: Tigers beat Colorado 26-0
- Post-Dispatch: Special teams, defense spark MU past Colorado
- PowerMizzou: Missouri blanks Buffs
- Fox Sports MW: No. 24 Missouri shuts down Colorado 26-0
- The Missourian: Tigers quarterback Blaine Gabbert leaves game with hip pointer
- SB Nation Kansas City: Blaine Gabbert's Hip Pointer Will Be Painful
The Trib: Special deliveries help Missouri beat Colorado
The Trib: For Tigers, bigger tests await after helping Buffs play dead
All those young players who learned on the job last year are paying off. The coaching staff’s philosophy of substituting liberally on defense is paying off.
The Tigers have the depth to deal with the curveballs thrown their way — and the beanballs they’ve thrown at themselves with their off-field behavior.
Case in point: Gabbert’s ankle injury put last season on hold for a month. The coaches didn’t have enough confidence in his backups to get him off the field when he was basically a statue. Last night, Gabbert hurt his hip and took a seat early in the fourth quarter with a 19-0 lead. Enter Franklin, and the Tigers went right down the field and scored a touchdown.
The depth has been most important on defense, where the lineup has been in flux but the results have been consistent.
By the time linebacker Will Ebner got back from suspension, linebacker Luke Lambert was out with a hamstring injury. By the time safety Jasper Simmons recovered from his injury, he got suspended. Defensive end Aldon Smith has missed the last two games with a broken leg. The only backup defensive tackle who had been getting any playing time, Jimmy Burge, was suspended for the Colorado game.
But regardless of the comings and goings, the Tigers have played good defense.
- The Trib: GAME NOTES: Missouri 26, Colorado 0
- PowerMizzou: Sunday Grade Card
- The Missourian: COMMENTARY: At the game, but not at the game
- The Missourian: COMMENTARY: In search of the tailgate that never ends
- KBIA Sports Extra: PHOTOS: Missouri 26, Colorado 0
- The Trib: SLIDE SHOW: Missouri 26, Colorado 0
- The Missourian: PHOTO GALLERY: Tigers take down Colorado Buffaloes
PowerMizzou: PHOTOS: Blanking the Buffs
- KBIA Sports Extra: VIDEO: Gary Pinkel's comments after defeating Colorado
- KBIA Sports Extra: VIDEO: James Franklin, Trey Barrow talk about their roles in Missouri's win
- PowerMizzou: VIDEO: Missouri shuts out Colorado
- PowerMizzou: VIDEO: Post-Game