Photo via Bill Carter. Why this photo? Because if you dig deep enough into the post, you'll see a couple of actual football articles!
A few things disappointed me yesterday.
1. The "anonymous source says Mizzou really wanted the Big Ten" story got national headlines. My goodness. This drove me crazy for two reasons: A) Of course Mizzou pursued the Big Ten first. Remember 2010? That still happened. There are varying reports about just how strongly Mizzou pursued the Big Ten -- I've had pretty trustworthy people tell me both that Mizzou was just doing its due diligence in case the B1G showed interest, and that Mizzou and the B1G had basically reached a "done deal" agreement before Nebraska entered the fray -- but clearly something happened last year, and it isn't news. B) You can get a catty, anonymous source to say anything, and running with such a nothing story based on said catty source is lazy and done just to get people fired up. People are fired up enough already.
2. Mizzou fans predictably began turning on each other, both here and elsewhere. (Less here than in other places, but still here.) There are very legitimate reasons for hating the thought of moving to the SEC, and there are very legitimate reasons for wanting to leave. It's turned into a battle between factions. It is to be expected with a decision this potentially momentous, but it still isn't enjoyable. Yesterday reminded me constantly of my late buddy Jeffrey, who would have both been incredibly abuzz about all of these rumors, and who pissed me off and argued with me on a daily basis. Nobody ever frustrated me more than him, and at the end of the day, we still loved each other.
3. This comment isn't green. A Florida fan dropped some really interesting ideas regarding "SEC culture" and what it does or doesn't mean. Does Missouri feel pride and passion regarding Mizzou sports? Then Mizzou is a "cultural fit." I enjoyed this perspective.
- MUtigers.com: Statements on Athletic Conference Affiliation
- The Trib: No turning back now for Missouri
- The Missourian: Welcome to the culture of fear in college sports
The Trib: Potential move to SEC elicits excitement
KC Star: Among the fan base, much ado over MU's conference prospects
Anonymous Sources Are Anonymous (Oh Yeah, And ... TULANE?)
ESPN.com: Report: Missouri Tigers hope to join SEC, had wanted Big Ten invite most
Coming And Going
USA Today: Big 12 keeps one eye on Missouri, another on expansion
The SEC Reacts Positively
Atlanta Journal-Constitution: The SEC needs Missouri more for image than for football
College Football Talk: Mizzou, SEC not ready to make relationship public
SEC ADs Meet, Discuss Previously-Established Agenda
KC Star: SEC athletic directors meet; no statement on Mizzou
Rock Chalk Talk: Kansas v. Missouri: The Rivalry and Conference Realignment
KC Star: Bill Self says he wants Mizzou, and Border War, to stick around
The Dagger: Bill Self threatens to end Border War if Mizzou leaves Big 12
CBS Sports: Kansas AD wants Mizzou to stay
CBS Sports: Kansas-Mizzou hoops rivalry could be over
KC Star (Sam Mellinger): Just stop it with that. Seriously. Just stop. KU and MU should ABSOLUTELY keep playing each other, no matter what.
The View From Oklahoma
Daily Oklahoman (An Incredibly Reasonable Berry Tramel): Is Missouri Gone?
Daily Oklahoman: OU's David Boren not wavering on Big 12, thinks Missouri '50-50'
Tulsa World (John Klein): Missouri's departure would be a game-changer for OU, OSU
KC Star: Conference alignment was hot topic in KC -- more than a century ago
The Trib (Dave Matter): Missouri's history vs. SEC
Chats and Mailbags
KC Star: Big 12 chat with Blair Kerkhoff
Mizzou Football Links
- PowerMizzou: PMTV-HD: James Franklin
- The Missourian: Missouri cornerback E.J. Gaines setting example for shaken secondary
- KC Star: Mizzou all-Americans Grant Ressel, Michael Egnew off to slow starts
Gabs (And Others)
We Are Mizzou: Mizzou QBs in the NFL
Sporting News: Jacksonville wideouts not helping Blaine Gabbert enough
We Are Mizzou: ESPN's John Anderson Welcomes You Back for Homecoming
Mizzou Basketball Links
- The Trib (Steve Walentik): How Laurence Bowers' injury impacts Tigers
Big 12 Hoops: Buick Human Highlight Reel: Former Missouri Tiger T.J. Soyoye
Other Mizzou Links
MUtigers.com: Tigers' Rally Falls Short at No. 22 Oklahoma
The Missourian: Two players keep Missouri volleyball team connected with strong communication
Mizzou Women's Golf
The Trib: Despite slide at home meet, MU golfers positive
MUtigers.com: Cross Country Receives Votes in National Poll
New York Magazine: See an Arrested Development-Themed Ben & Jerry's Flavor