First off, thoughts and prayers to anybody affected by the epic flooding and Birds Point floodway activation in SE Missouri...
Mizzou Football Links
The Trib (Dave Matter): Some final post-draft thoughts
Tim Barnes, undrafted. I don’t get it. A couple teams told Barnes they'd take a strong look at him in the later rounds if he was still available, but the draft came and went with seven six coming off the board and not Missouri's three-year starter. Missouri's coaches genuinely thought Barnes was going to break the streak of MU's All-Big centers going undrafted. "For the life of me, I can’t explain why, but we’ve had all-conference players who didn’t make it to the next level," former offensive coordinator and line coach Dave Christensen told me last spring. "I know they were great players for us at Missouri, phenomenal players." Even before Barnes' senior season, Christensen was confident he'd break the trend. "I think so just because he's so athletic," he said. "He’s got great balance and can really move laterally. He’s a little bit taller and can run block and pass block. I think he’s got a good shot."
And he still might. Barnes texted me Sunday night and said the Baltimore Ravens contacted him immediately after the draft. Once teams are allowed to negotiate with prospects, the Ravens could sign Barnes to a free-agent deal or invite him to a tryout. Veteran Pro-Bowl center Matt Birk is in the final year of his contract and might retire after one more season. The Ravens didn’t address the interior of their line in the draft, so perhaps they can sign Barnes and develop him as an eventual replacement for Birk. The Dolphins and Bengals contacted him, too.
- PowerMizzou Blog: Tigers make a statement in the draft
- Pro Football Talk: With Blaine Gabbert, Del Rio's job only gets harder
We Are Mizzou: Gabbert and Aldon Smith Go in Top Ten
Other Football Links
- Dr. Saturday: College campuses celebrate Osama bin Laden's death the only way they know how
- National Football Post: Sunday Blitz (hop down to the part about Prince Amukamara ... it is unreal that an executive would even THINK that, much less say it out loud)
- Pre-Snap Read: Coaching Lessons from Mike Haywood
- EDSBS: QB CAMP! WITH JON GRUDEN: OLD LEATHERPANTS EDITION
Mizzou Basketball Links
- The Trib (Steve Walentik): Kim English, teammates getting extra work at Rec
- KC Star (Upon Further Review): MU BB: Season Outlook via 1993
The Trib (Steve Walentik): Purvis decommits from Louisville
USA Today: Top recruit Rodney Purvis backs off commitment to Louisville
ESPN.com CBB Blog: Louisville prospect reopens recruitment
- KC Star: Former MU basketball player connects from top of his key as singer (ggh...cheeserific headline...)
Other Mizzou Links