Happy Memorial Day! I's late because ... it's Memorial Day, and I had no desire to get up any earlier than I did!
Mizzou Softball Links
So it wasn't the prettiest series in the world -- Nicole Hudson went 3-for-6, Lisa Simmons went 2-for-6, and everybody else went 4-for-38 -- but after making more plays in Game One, Mizzou made fewer mistakes in Game Two, and they're headed to the WCWS because of it. Now that they've officially clinched a bid, I can whine about the draw a little bit and wish everything was re-seeded once you get to the WCWS; whereas Mizzou is the fourth-highest ranked team remaining (after No. 1 Arizona State, No. 2 Alabama and No. 4 Florida), they're also the third-highest on their side of the bracket and will have to get through Florida and ASU to get to the title game. But that's just me whining -- last year, not re-seeding benefited the Tigers, as they got to play No. 16 Hawaii in the first round; it all evens out over time, but being a fan, I'll just choose to whine when it hurts Mizzou and ignore it when it helps.
- The Trib: Missouri wins super regional, advances to College World Series
- The Missourian: Missouri softball advances to College World Series
- KBIA Sports Extra: Mizzou softball ousts Washington, 6-3, advances to Women's College World Series again
KC Star: Missouri softball team sweeps Washington for berth in College World Series
KC Star: Without coach, Mizzou captures regional
- Post-Dispatch: MU advances to Women's College World Series
- PowerMizzou: Thrice as nice
Daily Oklahoman: Big 12 has dethroned Pac-10 as softball queens
With Mizzou sweeping Washington, Oklahoma sweeping Arizona, Baylor taking out Georgia, and Oklahoma State knocking off Tennessee, the Big 12 has made a huge statement the past two weekends. We'll see if the conference can sustain this momentum long-term, but at this exact moment in time, there should be absolutely no question what the best softball conference in the country is. And Mizzou won said conference. Cool.
Mizzou Baseball Links
Not much to say here. Mizzou almost pulled off something incredibly thrilling, but instead they'll just have to take solace in a) still making a helluva run, and b) doing so with what is still a very young team. Seniors stepped up big this weekend, but there is plenty of talent to build on for next year. Tim Jamieson was choking up in the press conference after the game, which is rare, but this really was a dramatic win, and it really was just a dagger of a loss.
- MUtigers.com: Tigers Fall in Big 12 Title Game, 10-9
- Big 12 Sports.com: Texas A&M Wins Championship Title On Collazo's Walk-Off
- The Trib: Missouri falls in championship baseball game
- The Missourian: Missouri baseball falls to Texas A&M In Big 12 title game
- KC Star: Mizzou falls to Texas A&M in dramatic fashion in Big 12 title game
- Post-Dispatch: Mizzou's baseball run finally ends
- Houston Chronicle: Texas A&M wins Big 12 title with 10th-inning homer
- SimmonsField.com: A Tip of the Hat 2011: The Long Season
Mizzou Basketball Links
- Creve Coeur Patch: Even Away From The Game, Brian Grawer Still Has Shooting Touch
- KC Star (Upon Further Review): MU declines an Elite Eight
Other Mizzou Links
Mizzou Men's Golf
Post-Dispatch: MU's Long has a round to remember
Reading the Nieman article really makes me appreciate being a part of SBN.
- Nieman Journalism Lab: Both the short and long of it: How sportswriting is taking over the web through innovation and adaptation
- Stereogum: Radiohead's 20 Best Cover Songs
It's not too late to donate to the Rock M Nation Tremendous Stubble Charity Drive!