Four thoughts before we get to the links:
1) Donald Hopkins' film below is one of the funniest I've seen. In it, he doesn't even really make that many plays; he just completely and repeatedly blows up the poor center trying to block him. Like the center just starts yelling "Blow the whistle! Blow the whistle!" as soon as he snaps the ball. Hopkins still looks long and lean at 270 too. Really excited about this kid.
2) The articles on yesterday's voluntary 7-on-7 workouts are pretty standard, really -- you know there's going to be a quote about Franklin becoming a leader, and you know there are going to be quotes from receivers about how much they like Franklin. That said ... reading that is still better than reading the alternative, no? And besides ... PRACTICE REPORTS (SORT OF) WOOOOOOOO!!!
3) The preseason all-conference team has three running backs on it. I figure that's probably because two of them tied, but here's my question: why even have two? This is a receiver's conference, and now we've got a situation where Roy Finch (questionable) and Bryce Brown (LOL) are "preseason all-conference" ... and T.J. Moe and Jeff Fuller are not. Just silly.
4) I love that all these former Mizzou guys are starting their own camps. Love, love, love it. This becomes part of the Mizzou brand after a while, really.
Mizzou Football Links
PRACTICE REPORTS (SORT OF)!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!
The Trib (Dave Matter): James Franklin makes transition in summer workouts
One player not on the field Tuesday — or anywhere near Boone County for that matter — was Sheldon Richardson, whose status for the upcoming season is anything but clear. A couple players said they've been told by the coaching staff they expect the junior college transfer to be part of the team for the start of preseason practices, for whatever that's worth.
"If he comes, we'll welcome him with open arms," defensive end Jacquies Smith said. "He's slated to get here for fall camp. And we're going to welcome him with open arms. He can't do nothing but bolster our defensive line. He's a great talent. We hope he gets here. But if he doesn't, we still got a lot of guys who are capable of filling the void."
While Franklin said he was not relieved that the younger Gabbert decided to leave the Missouri football team, the departure has allowed Franklin to be a little more comfortable in a quarterbacking role, and he seems confident he will emerge as the starter.
"Before, I felt a little weird acting like it was my spot, even though we were still competing for it," Franklin said. "Since he transferred, I know it’s mine. Since then ... I’ve been a little more of myself to step up and be the leader that the team needs."
PowerMizzou: Coaching key for Hopkins
YouTube: Lago Vista Donald Hopkins 45
More Watch Lists
The Missourian: Missouri's Michael Egnew lone tight end named to Walter Camp watch list
Big 12 Sports: Big 12 Announces Media Preseason Football Team
The Trib (Dave Matter): MU's Michael Egnew, Grant Ressel, Brad Madison voted preseason All-Big 12
Beaumont Enterprise: Sean Weatherspoon football camp set for Saturday
Other Football Links
- The Trib (Dave Matter): BTS Preseason Countdown: 6, 5
Competing With Texas
College Football Talk: Oklahoma's television channel apparently hitting a snag
Post-Dispatch: Illini earn huge Big Ten Conference payout
Chicago Tribune: Big Ten payouts to member schools climb
Leach in Lubbock
Twitter (Stewart Mandel): PHOTO: Mike Leach book signing in Lubbock
Houston Chronicle: Mike Leach returns to West Texas for book signing
Mizzou Basketball Links
- PowerMizzou: Summer Sessions: Kadeem Green
Other Basketball Links
LOL DANNY NEE
CBS Sports: Yes you did do what we said you did, Coach Nee
Other Mizzou Links
MUtigers.com: VIDEO: Tigers Ready for Softball World Cup
Daily Oklahoman: World Cup of Softball could help prove the sport belongs back in the Olympics
MUtigers.com: Nick Tepesch is Rangers Minor League Pitcher of the Month
SimmonsField.com: Summer Ball (Conner Mach)
KOMU.com: Incoming Tiger Looks to Make an Instant Impact
MUtigers.com: Brimmage Honored by COBRA Magazine
MUtigers.com: Mizzou Volleyball to Appear on ESPNU
Mizzou Track & Field
MUtigers.com: Former Mizzou Track Great Bill Bangert Passes Away
F*** Yeah Arrested Development: Dancing Montage