Matt Hoch (No. 89) has had himself one hell of an offseason.
Mizzou Football Links
Five thoughts on the preseason depth chart Dave Matter shared below:
1. The receivers have put on some weight. Jimmie Hunt is now 215 pounds, Marcus Lucas is 215, L'Damian Washington is 195 (soaking wet, I'm sure), Jaleel Clark (who spent some time at tight end in spring) is 220, and Bud Sasser (who is still listed as tight end) is 220.
2. Matt Hoch did indeed surpass Lucas Vincent. Hoch has quickly moved to 290 pounds and has apparently turned into a serious overachiever. I was pleased with everything I'd seen from Vincent (pre-injury, anyway), so if Hoch overtook Vincent, and Vincent wasn't slacking, that's great.
3. Jimmie Hunt vs. Gahn McGaffie will be one of the most interesting battles of August. I've kind of just assumed Hunt would surpass McGaffie by now, simply because of upside, but McGaffie had a lovely spring, and I get the impression Hunt just hasn't been consistent enough to constantly see the field. We'll see what's changed between April and August.
4. I'm still really happy about the spring Mitch Morse had. One of our biggest spring questions was who would win the starting guard spot opposite right guard Jack Meiners. But Morse had such a good spring at center that Travis Ruth was able to set up shop at left guard. Problem solved.
5. Still some playing time available for young safeties. Kenronte Walker and Braylon Webb are locked in as first-string safeties, but sophomore Daniel Easterly has moved up to second string. Ian Simon, who had a good spring, is back behind Matt White and on the third string, alongside Cortland Browning.
And a bonus thought: I like this team quite a bit. I'm still shaky about the safeties and defensive tackle position (having three quality DTs is better than two ... but it's not, you know, five). But the depth here is pretty nice. Hopefully injuries don't test said depth quite as much in the next 12 months as it did in the last 12 months.
The Trib (Dave Matter): MU's preseason depth chart (minus freshmen)
National Football Post: Can Missouri compete for the SEC East title in 2012?
Pinkel Day At ESPN
The Trib (Dave Matter): Pinkel will make the rounds at ESPN
SB Nation: Texas A&M Commit: Kyrion Parker: Proximity A Major Factor For Chase Abbington
Mizzou, Like, Totally Owns Alabama
Roll Bama Roll: The Delta Blues: Total Games Played, Winning Percentages, And Average Point Differential Against SEC Teams
Birmingham News: Champions Bowl looks for lucrative home as SEC, Big 12 try to mirror Rose Bowl
Love This Series
PowerMizzou: Where Are They Now: Mike Bedosky
Mizzou Basketball Links
The Ryan Miller Era Was A Doozy
The Trib: MU assistant Miller headed to Auburn
KC Star: Missouri loses another assistant basketball coach
PowerMizzou: Summer Shakeup
Birmingham News: Missouri says assistant basketball coach Ryan Miller is headed to Auburn
Mizzou Network: SEC Welcomes Mizzou
The Trib: Worship at your own risk
SimmonsField.com: SEC Fan's Guide to Mizzou Baseball: John "Hi" Simmons and the glory days of MU Baseball
Other Mizzou Links
The Trib: Like a kid again
Mizzou Swimming & Diving
MUtigers.com: Pontz Added to Swimming and Diving Coaching Staff
Birmingham News: Alabama gymnastics releases 2013 schedule, opens with new SEC foe Missouri