Back in Missouri! There's a chance I end up back in NYC soon (like, a week or so), but for now, here's some info on what we were doing (when I wasn't eating beef cheek ravioli at Babbo for lunch and trying not to cry about how good it was yesterday):
- Dan Rubenstein is basically the studio point-man for college football. His camera presence is outstanding, and the work he's done so far has been great. But college football is like a belt-high fastball for him. It's his thing and he owns it. The stuff he has planned for the upcoming season is going to blow you away. And he's a West Coast guy -- Oregon grad -- so you'll see Pac-12 teams getting plenty of love. [...]
- If we're able to pull off the season kickoff plan, which centers around Washington State, it'll be the best thing you consume all year, without question. Can't really give away any of the details, but there's some awesome plans that'll start the season off in style.
- Spencer Hall is probably the most brilliant man I've come across. You know his writing by now -- like this, which is incredible -- but he's exactly what you'd expect in person. It's non-stop laughs, hilarious anecdotes and off-the-wall ideas that nobody else would think of or be able to pull off in a way that captivates readers. [...]
- On Thursday night, we had a lengthy "Drink beer and shoot video roundtables" session, where a long list of topics were covered. You'll see those as the season nears, but there was plenty of WSU, Mike Leach and even Idaho talk. The WAC is one of the must-watch conferences this year, along with the Pac-12 and MAC -- the latter two for ALL OF THE POINTS and the former because it's dying and last gasps are fun. We'll pass along the videos when they're up, but I can't even describe how fun it was to shoot with Spencer, Bill, Dan, SB Nation recruiting expert Bud Elliot and Paul Myerberg (also known as PreSnapRead). A whole bunch of smart minds breaking down college football is an easy way to get in the mood for the season in a hurry. [...]
- I was able to sit in on a Solid Verbal podcast Friday night in our swanky podcasting studio. Ty and Dan are really good at this whole podcasting thing and it was a pleasure to join them, along with Bill, for an episode. It'll be out next week.
It was a good week, and after the planning and brainstorming that we had this week, it's going to be a really good fall. So we have that to look forward to. But for now, it's back to Mizzou, Mizzou, Mizzou. Arkansas Week is coming up, and, though it's not at all Mizzou-related, we're all watching Wimbledon this morning, right?
And yeah, I assume you all have seen this by now, but just in case...