Hey everyone. Normally, I would not be doing this, but I was a little put off by the content of some comments. I noticed a certain sense of "do we belong?" in the subtext. So I decided to put together some pointers for the site. This will not be preachy, I promise. First, a bit about me. I lived in St Louis for a while and I went to South Carolina. I like Missouri (the state). St Louis taught me to hate the Cubs and to love St Joseph Angels. Secondly, I come in peace. Now, on to the show...
1. PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT "FITTING IN." This isn't "Pride and Prejudice." Have you met an Auburn or Alabama fan? This is no gentleman's club. Be yourself, and you'll be fine. We still have no idea what LSU or Florida fans are doing, but we're okay with that anyway.
2. You're going to lose. And people are going to talk poorly of your team. It's okay. Respond with humor, and you'll get along fine. Most of the people I've encountered at an SEC game are good natured, and what's more, there for a good time. If you respond in a similar manner, they'll probably offer you drinks or food, maybe both. Or at least they have for me. Which brings me to my next point....
3. Step your tailgaiting game up. You can't change what happens on the field, but by God, you can change what the party outside looks like. I may be under a false impression from what I saw over the weekend, but it didn't seem like there were the 6 hour long tailgates that should be there for Mizzou's SEC home opener. Please say it aint so. And don't let a loss ruin the party.
4. Keep your head down, and you'll be fine. Probably already knew this. If nothing much is heard from Mizzou fans (in a bad way), we'll start to like you quickly. Because we're already completely annoyed by TAMU.
5. Come visit us! Come to Columbia, SC for the Mizzou-SC game. You'll have a great time. You'll also have a great time at other SEC college cities. Or at least I have. My particular favorites: Any place except for Auburn or Starkville (haven't been to Fayetteville yet).
This probably did nothing for ya, but there ya go. Keep your head down, party more, accept losses, travel well, and avoid acting like TAMU fans. That's it. Love the site, and good luck (except for the 22nd).