Mizzou Football Links
"Afterwards, teammates marveled at Berkstresser’s toughness, while Pinkel, intentionally or inadvertently, questioned Franklin’s." That's from Blair Kerkhoff's QB Gate column linked below. Here's the deal: There is a world of difference, a galaxy of difference, between "intentional" and "inadvertent." "Intentional" turns this into a pretty big issue. "Inadvertent" means we are writing thousands of words about a less-than-artful statement from a coach who, let's face it, makes a lot of less-than-artful statements.
Here's what I think:
1. If you read Dave Matter's "Emptying the Notebook" piece, you see that T.J. Moe really might have been trying to send a message with the repeated use of "tough."
2. If James Franklin starts next week (and I bet he does), Moe will be the first person in his corner. This is who T.J. Moe is.
3. I like Jack Meiners. Also from the Matter piece: "He loves everyone on this team like a brother. If he felt like he wasn't able to go, and he felt like Corbin would give us the best chance to win, I think that was the right call." My thoughts exactly.
4. Again, if given the choice between a 75% Franklin and a 100% Berkstresser, give me Berkstresser. Watching Franklin airmail passes because he simply wants to take the field and be "tough" and a "warrior" would not have helped Mizzou at all.
5. Pinkel's post-game comments below suggest that even if he was frustrated with Franklin in the pre-game, he was over it.
6. We will find out soon enough whether this is an actual issue. For all we know, it's possible that it is (though my money is still on "It's not"). But we don't know, and writing an entire column about Pinkel "questioning Franklin's toughness," when you acknowledge that it might have been inadvertent, seems a little ridiculous to me.
KC Star: MU's Berkstresser fulfills lifelong dream in front of family
KC Star: Sunday rewind | MU's front seven ferocious in win over Arizona State
PowerMizzou: By The Numbers: Arizona State
28: Years between non-conference home sellouts at Memorial Stadium. Before Saturday, the last sellout was in 1984 against Notre Dame.
The Trib (Dave Matter): Emptying the Notebook: QB or not QB?
Gary, there was something in the pregame interview about James declining a painkiller injection.
"No, they just asked me if he'd taken an injection. I said no. He didn't want to do that. He didn't do that."
Did he turn it down? Did he decline it?
"I'm not going to get into all of that. You're looking for the big story here. There's no big story. OK?"
Who's the backup quarterback in that situation?
"Well, if we just had to finish the game, James could have taken the snaps to finish the game like that. But we would have had to put Maty Mauk in."
Gary, what would you say to people outside your locker room who would have any question about James' decision not to play?
"That's up to James. I have no problem with that. That's James. Period. That's him."
No questions about his toughness?
"No, no, no. I don’t have any questions about his toughness at all. We saw him play last year."
The Trib: Spurrier: Conner Shaw should play
KC Star: Ol' Ball Coach impressed with MU's defense
Post-Dispatch: Hold the hardware: no trophy for MU-S. Carolina
Week After Next
The Trib: Morning kickoff for MU's trip to Central Florida
Rivals.com: New Leader for (IL DT Josh) Augusta
NFL.com: Jaguars' Blaine Gabbert injures hamstring vs. Texans
NFL.com: VIDEO: Laurent Robinson 32-yard catch
Post-Dispatch: Gabbert struggles, then is injured, as Jaguars lose
Jacksonville.com: Blaine Gabbert takes step back before leaving with injury
Big Cat Country: Re-Writing The Blaine Gabbert Narrative Will Take Patience
We Are Mizzou: Friday Night Highlights
After the jump: it was one hell of a weekend for the Mizzou women.
Mizzou Soccer Links
- No. 17 Mizzou 2, Auburn 0
MUtigers.com: Mizzou Opens SEC Play With 2-0 Win Over Auburn
The Trib: Soccer opens SEC play with 2-0 win
The Missourian: Missouri wins SEC opener against Auburn
The Trib: Diggs back in game for MU soccer
- Mizzou 1, South Carolina 0
MUtigers.com: No. 17 Mizzou Defeats South Carolina, 1-0
Mizzou Volleyball Links
- Mizzou 3, Ole Miss 0
MUtigers.com: Tiger Volleyball Blanks Ole Miss
Mizzou Network: Highlight Reel
Mizzou Network: 1 on 1 with Wayne Kreklow
The Trib: With win over Ole Miss, Missouri starts SEC play 2-0 (soccer wins too)
The Missourian: Missouri beats Ole Miss despite injured players
The Maneater: Tigers roll past Rebels
KBIA Sports: Mizzou continues to win in SEC play, beats Ole Miss in straight games
The Missourian: Missouri outside hitter Simpson says she's here to stay
Mizzou Diamond Sports Links
SimmonsField.com: SEC Fan's Guide to Mizzou Baseball: Johnny Wholestaff & Priday's Friday