Still thawing out from last night...
Dropped Out: Northwestern (#17), Minnesota (#19), Georgia Tech (#20).
Justifications (or at least the best I can do):
- Well, there it is: Texas Tech is my No. 1 team in the country. As I sit here and count Mizzou's losses as "quality losses," those same exact teams end up in Tech's "signature win" category. I think Alabama may get the nod on name recognition in the big polls, but Tech earned its spot... for now.
- No offense meant to Alabama, as I don't want to take away from winning in Death Valley. Top 2 is Top 2 at this point.
- Texas and OU creep into the 3/4 spots, with Florida lurking behind. I wouldn't want to mess with anyone in the Top 5 right now. Florida and Oklahoma are playing some outstanding football at the moment.
- Without even thinking, I give USC a two-spot bump despite a questionable effort in a win over Cal. I'm not quite ready to vault Utah and Boise over the Trojans yet.
- Penn State falls in a No. 9 only because I can't justify pushing them down farther. I won't push them past a two-loss Ohio State team they just beat, I won't push them past a two-loss Missouri team, etc.
- Poor Oklahoma State. Two losses on the season and they're both to the nation's No. 1 team... on the road... in your own division.
- Ball State may have reached its ceiling in my book.
- BYU drops as a result of TCU dropping, as the Frogs lost to a solid Utah team but need to stay ahead of a BYU team they thrashed a few weeks back.