Oklahoma State 75, Mizzou 73. From the moment I posted a "We're up 8 with 11 left? Cool!" comment in last night's game thread, OSU went on a 14-6 run to tie the game, then knocked down a jumper with 2 seconds left to pull off the win after a nip-and-tuck stretch run. Mizzou was a game out of 4th, now they're a half-game out of 11th. Here's the box score. Thoughts...
- Eaton's game-winning shot was U-G-L-Y. It looked like he was trying to get fouled and just accidentally made the shot.
- Attendance: 7692. A step backwards in that department.
- Marcus Dove, Byron Eaton, and Terrel Harris were a combined 10-for-12 from 3-point range. GGH. Needless to say, that counteracts Obi Muonelo's 1-for-12 performance from the field.
- Leo Lyons: 12-for-13 from the field (92.3%). Rest of team: 15-for-42 (35.7%). Mizzou "big men" not named Lyons (Carroll, Brown, Safford, Butterfield) went 3-for-14 (21.4%).
- Once again we wasted a decent shooting performance from Matt Lawrence (3-for-7 from 3-point range). He certainly wasn't great, but we seem to lose every time he makes more than a couple 3's, and that makes no sense whatsoever. We also wasted an 8-offensive-rebound performance from Lyons.
- Justin Safford: 7 minutes, 2 turnovers, all zeroes across the board. Needless to say, this "Safford's improving!" article by Steve Walentik was a little mistimed.
- Summary: we shot 49% from the field, made 7 of 16 3-pointers, were only outrebounded by 2, had a 19-9 (Assists+Steals)/Turnovers ratio, shot 17 FTs to OSU's 8, Matt Lawrence made 3 3's, Leo Lyons had 27 & 18...and we lost. At home. EHH??
Game stories: Game slips away from Tigers (Missourian), Lyons roars in Tigers' loss (Missourian), MU falls late to Oklahoma State (KC Star), Cowboys sink MU's hopes at last second (Post-Dispatch), Eaton scores game-winner to extend winning run (Daily Oklahoman).
Finally, congrats to Mizzou thrower Chris Rohr. By becoming the nation's leader (and school record holder) in the Weight Throw, he was named Big 12 Athlete of the Week.