I don't think I've ever felt this unsure of a ballot in my short span of life...
Dropped Out: Clemson (#18), Wake Forest (#19), Illinois (#20)
On the radar (in no particular order): Northwestern, Michigan State, Ball State, Cal, Stanford, Miami
Justifications (or at least the best I can do):
- Usually I feel good about the Top 20, and then I feel like the last 5 spots are a crapshoot. This week, I feel good about the Top 5, and then everything after that is like throwing darts at a media guide.
- Oklahoma is my new No. 1 despite the lack of schedule quality Alabama has. While I certainly won't object to anyone putting Bama at No. 1, I'm leaving OU at No. 1 until we finally get a good look at the Sooners against UT.
- By the way, how intense is the Red River Shootout going to be this year? Plus, it'll be the first time either of these teams has been remotely tested (no offense, Baylor and Colorado).
- I am absolutely sick that BYU and Texas Tech hopped into single digits. They seemed perfectly slotted in the 11-13 range before all the chaos happened.
- I'm also sick I couldn't drop Georgia past No. 10. But let's face it, they lost to a damn good team.
- Florida gets the nod over USC at No. 13 despite losing at home. I'm beginning to wonder if I ought to flip these two. Thoughts?
- Wisconsin falls to No. 17, and the Big Ten's great hopes are placed squarely on JoePa's elderly shoulders.
- Clemson is now dead to me.