And because I can't help it, here are the first-half stats:
|Points Per Minute
|Points Per Possession (PPP)
|Points Per Shot (PPS)
|(Assists + Steals) / TO||3.13||0.41|
|Expected Offensive Rebounds||5||5|
|Eq. Rebound Margin||+3||-3|
- Oy...yeah, those looked as bad as I thought they would. Didn't know it was possible to have an (A+S)/TO ratio over 3.0. Now I know.
|DeMarre Carroll||23.12||1.28||16 Pts, 7 Reb, 5 Stl, 3 Ast|
|Matt Lawrence||15.68||0.83||18 Pts, 3 Reb, 3 Ast|
|J.T. Tiller||10.00||0.53||9 Pts, 4 Ast, 2 Stl|
|Keith Ramsey||8.38||0.60||6 Pts, 5 Reb, 2 Blk|
|Marcus Denmon||6.62||0.55||4 Pts, 2 Reb, 2 Stl|
|Miguel Paul||5.41||0.28||11 Pts|
|Laurence Bowers||5.00||0.36||4 Pts, 3 Reb, 1 #1 Highlight on SportsCenter|
|Steve Moore||4.19||0.38||2 Pts, 2 Reb, 3 Stl|
|Zaire Taylor||3.51||0.18||4 Pts, 3 Ast, 3 TO|
|Leo Lyons||2.70||0.19||4 Pts, 3 Ast, 2 Reb|
|Kim English||2.16||0.14||9 Pts, 2 Reb, 3 TO|
|Justin Safford||2.03||0.17||1 Pt, 2 Reb, 2 Ast|
|Jarrett Sutton||-1.08||-0.54||0 Pts|
|Michael Anderson Jr.||-1.89||-0.16||0 Pts, 3 Reb, 2 Ast, 3 TO|
EqPts = a take-off of the Net Equivalent Points idea discussed last week. Taking points, assists, rebounds (offensive & defensive), steals, blocks, turnovers and fouls into account, the team's points are re-distributed to figure out who had the biggest impact on the game itself, instead of just how many balls a player put through a basket. I can go into detail on the formula if anybody asks, but for now just know that that was the intent.
- While I would certainly love to see DeMarre Carroll go up stronger and come up big against teams with good big men, it really is impressive what he can do against a team like this. In just 18 minutes, he managed to fill in every line of the box score except (somehow) for personal fouls.
- One concern heading into conference play: Bad Leo is taking residence. In the last four (mostly non-competitive) games, Leo Lyons is averaging just 6.9 EqPts--9.3 PPG and 4.8 RPG. It could certainly be worse, but he hasn't done much since, really, being the only guy on the court to do anything against Illinois. I won't actually get worried about this until Bad Leo takes the court this weekend in Lincoln, but it's a red flag.
- There's unfortunately not an EqPt value for sick dunks, otherwise Laurence Bowers would have likely been the team EqPt leader. That was ridiculous...and somehow it doesn't appear to be online yet. Somebody put that thing on YouTube! Guess you can always just watch it on ESPN360...
- And how about Matt "Grey Goose" Lawrence responding to my "Start Kim English" clamor by putting together a couple super-nice games, huh?
Alright, that's enough rubber-necking...here's to getting a good start to conference season on Saturday...