The Fifth Down. Live it, love it.
I'm sure we've linked to it before, but as we prepare for Saturday's MU-CU game, the 20th anniversary of the Fifth Down, it's time to embrace the annoyance one last time.
And via the Dr. Saturday link below...
Image via The Trib
The Trib: Fifth down is a play that will live in infamy
Recalling the infamous sequence with careful precision, [Harry] Colon recites a version that ends short of the goal line.
"He falls on his butt and reaches his hands out," Colon said. "We gave it our all and left everything we had on the field. But to this day, I’m still under the belief that he didn’t score."
"What was really tough was we thought we were in the process of turning that program around," Colon continued, recalling the Tigers had beaten No. 21 Arizona State the week before. MU Coach Bob "Stull had done a good job of preparing us. But, hey, they were the national champions that year. We not only took them down to the wire, but the wire plus some."
Oh yeah, that part. The Colorado touchdown that former Missouri coaches, former Missouri players and still inconsolable Missouri fans insist was not a touchdown occurred on fifth down. The Fifth Down, as it became instantly known and which today celebrates 20 years of infamy.
"We didn’t get a fair shake on the deal," Colon said. "How could that happen?"Good question.
- The Trib: J.C. Louderback, I feel your pain
- Dr. Saturday: 20 years later, Colorado-Missouri can't escape the "Fifth Down"
- College Football Talk: 20th anniversary of '5th Down' shows how far the game has come
- Denver Post: No downplaying CU's fifth down at Missouri
Other Mizzou Football Links
First, your MU-CU TV update, via Dave Matter and Fox's Geoff Goldman:
In the St. Louis area, cable subscribers can find the Colorado-Missouri game on the following stations:
Charter: Ch. 3, 8 or 21
New Wave-Dexter and Sparta: Ch. 21
Madison-Madison County: Ch. 8
HomeTel-Douglas, Ill.: Ch. 3
Cable America: Ch.12
DirecTV and AT&T U-verse subscribers can find the Colorado-Missouri game on:
DirecTV: Ch. 657 (HD 657-1)
AT&T U-verse: Ch. 750 (HD 750-1)
The Trib (Dave Matter): Behind the Numbers: Tigers vs. Buffs
Denver Post: CU Buffs' Hartigan shows off his speed from the edge
Denver Post (Blog): CU's Hawkins: Tyler Hansen practicing better than ever
Denver Post (Blog): CU appears to have settled on same O-line
PowerMizzou: Scouting the Buffaloes
Fox Sports MW: Tigers Notebook: Bring on the Buffs
Offensive Line = Good
KC Star: This may be Missouri's best O-line under Pinkel
KBIA Sports Extra: VIDEO: Gary Pinkel and Tim Barnes on leadership and the offensive line mentality
- Post-Dispatch: MU defense solid so far this season
- The Missourian: Kenji Jackson matures into energetic force for Missouri
- PowerMizzou: Powered Up: The season starts now
- KBIA Sports Extra: What role will Wes Kemp and Jerrell Jackson play in Missouri's offense in Big 12 play?
- PowerMizzou: Spread not spreading it out so far
- Fox Sports MW: Missouri excited about start of Big 12 play
Big 12 Links
Bring On The Cats: The End of an Era
Corn Nation: Can Nebraska Really Stop Kansas State's Daniel Thomas?
KC Star: Kansas State and Nebraska play for the final time as Big 12 North rivals
KC Star: There's been a repeated request from K-State fans for months: Beat Nebraska
Pre-Snap Read: Snyder Eyes Nebraska, One Last Time
Dallas Morning News: Robert Griffin III not afraid to speak out
Rock Chalk Talk: Turner Gill Bye Week Report Card
Daily Oklahoman: OU's schedule does not get any easier
Dallas Morning News: Don't be too hard on Garrett Gilbert; Texas fans have been spoiled by Colt McCoy
Dallas Morning News: Until you win, you can't talk about improvement
Dallas Morning News: Tommy Tuberville under fire already
Nebraska is still really good at volleyball.
- MUtigers.com: Volleyball Swept by No. 3 Nebraska
- KBIA Sports Extra: No. 3 Nebraska rolls in sweep of Missouri
- The Missourian: Paola Ampudia keeps attacking in Missouri's loss to No. 3 Nebraska
- Omaha World-Herald: Huskers 'can' Tigers' upset bid for their 14th straight victory
Other Mizzou Links