So we got through the weekend with word of "progress" being made in terms of the Big 12 and Mizzou's demands for change. We'll see what kind of impact that has on tomorrow's curators meeting. I like that Mizzou does seem to recognize that they're the only ones with leverage right now and are trying to use it. Last time they had leverage,
Chip Brown Texas used the nuclear device known as "the threat of the Pac-16" to destroy them. This time around, that doesn't exist. We'll see what happens, I guess.
- KC Star (Campus Corner): Deaton confirms Big 12 talks today, MU curators Tuesday
- KC Star: Stability of Southeastern Conference beckons Mizzou
- Tulsa World: Rejection by Pac-12 a surprise to OU, OSU?
- KC Star (Campus Corner): A&M prez thinks Missouri will stay in Big 12
Big East Coast Bias: Big East Leadership Meets, Approves Expansion, Considering Bylaw Changes
Rumble In The Garden: Big East Presidents discuss the future of the Big East
College Football Talk: Big East presidents vote unanimously to expand
KC Star (Campus Corner): Big East looks to make moves
Mizzou Football Links
So Aldon Smith makes an impact, and Justin Smith strips Jeremy Maclin late to preserve San Francisco's win over Philadelphia. Fun. Maclin is tied for seventh in the league in terms of receptions, but the Eagles are struggling ... much like the Jags, who have almost no weapons to place around Blaine Gabbert and, for one reason or another, don't give the ball to their best player (MJD) too often.
- The Trib (Dave Matter): Four-and-Out: Bye week, schmye week
- The Missourian: Reflecting on Missouri's play, looking ahead to Kansas State
Sacramento Bee: 'Cold-blooded' performance by Smith, Smith and Smith
Jacksonville.com: Second-half blitzes take toll on Blaine Gabbert
Jacksonville.com: Jaguars' floundering offense doesn't stack up in loss to Saints
Jacksonville.com: Saints 23, Jaguars 10: Grading the Jaguars
Big Cat Country: Receivers and offensive gameplan to blame in 23-10 loss to Saints
Shutdown Corner: The yardage arrows are pointing the wrong way in Jacksonville
PowerMizzou: 2012 Football Hot Board: Offense
PowerMizzou: 2012 Football Hot Board: Defense
Other Football Links
Five thoughts on the weekend in Big 12 action...
1. Kudos to K-State for riding out the storm and sticking to the gameplan. Baylor was scoring every time they touched the ball for a while, but KSU kept grinding out yards and keeping it close, then found a couple of late defensive adjustments that stymied Robert Griffin III and company. Hopefully Mizzou was taking copious notes, both in terms of what KSU is going to do and what might work against Baylor in a few more weeks.
2. I still love Robert Griffin III. Not sure I've ever had a stronger emotional attachment to a Mizzou opponent before.
3. God, A&M. This is taking 1998 Mizzou's "lead every game at halftime before losing" trademark to a rather ridiculous level.
4. Oklahoma's Tony Jefferson finished three consecutive drives with interceptions on Saturday night. That's, uh, tough to do.
5. Wow, did Texas look good in the first half against Iowa State.
Kansas State > Baylor
KC Star: Wildcats win by following the old fox Snyder
KC Star: For first time since 2007, K-State returns to the Top 25
Texas > Iowa State
Austin American-Statesman: Longhorns roll past Iowa State
Austin American-Statesman: Horns look like their former selves
Austin American-Statesman: Horns vs. Cyclones: Five questions answered
College Football Talk: Iowa State CB Leonard Johnson carted off after helmet-to-helmet hit vs Texas
Texas Tech > Kansas
KC Star: Third quarter dooms KU again in 45-34 loss to Texas Tech
Double-T Nation: Texas Tech Red Raiders 45, Kansas Jayhawks 34 | Post Game Thoughts
Lawrence Journal-World: Slow start not a problem for Red Raiders
Lawrence Journal-World: Third quarter haunts Jayhawks once again
Arkansas > Texas A&M
SB Nation: Aggies Crumble Against SEC Team, 42-38
Oklahoma > Ball State
Daily Oklahoman: No. 2 Oklahoma routs Ball State
Daily Oklahoman: OU looks ready to take on Texas after rout of Ball State
Daily Oklahoman: OU quarterback Landry Jones gets average marks despite big numbers
Blatant Homerism: Ridiculous and Sublime: Oklahoma 62, Ball State 6
Mizzou Basketball Links
The Trib: Tiger transfers will spend season biding their time
Mizzou Soccer Links
Mizzou 1, No. 17 Texas A&M 0
MUtigers.com: Mizzou Earns 1-0 Win over No. 17 Texas A&M
The Missourian: MU swimming team brings energy to crowd in Missouri win
Texas 2, Mizzou 1
MUtigers.com: Tigers Fall to Longhorns, 2-1
The Missourian: Missouri loses to Texas
KBIA Sports Extra: Mizzou soccer upended by Texas
Other Mizzou Links
So I'd say it was a mostly good weekend for Mizzou alums, huh?
MUtigers.com: Former Tiger Max Scherzer Tops Yankees in ALDS
Detroit News: Max Scherzer's no-hit bid gives Tigers a lift
Big League Stew: Max Scherzer shows Tigers are not a one-man pitching staff
New York Daily News: Yankees vs. Tigers ALDS: Max Scherzer takes no-hitter into 6th
NorthJersey.com: Calm Max Scherzer becomes Tigers' road warrior
The Trib: Askren's fight now set for KC
MUtigers.com: Pitching Strong in Tiger Sweep
MUtigers.com: Baseball Dominates Ontario, 22-2
The Missourian: Missouri baseball players make their debut as coaches in exhibition win
The Missourian: Missouri freshman Jade Hayes bonds with senior mentor