It was a bad weekend for Tigers in the SEC. Both Auburn and Missouri suffered deflating losses. LSU seems to be immune to the feline-flu so far, even after brushing up against Auburn two weeks ago. All that grass Les Miles ingests must have helped his team build up an immunity to disease. Just goes to show you how important it is to play on real grass in the SEC. LOOKIN' AT YOU, MIZZOU. Anyway, rankings:
1. Georgia Bulldogs - The West's top contenders at the moment all have obvious flaws. Ole Miss lacks a running game, LSU lacks a passing game, Alabama is a crumbling dynasty and might never win another SEC game, and A&M looks like a glass cannon. So far, the only knock on UGA is, "Well, they'll probably Georgia all over themselves eventually." I'm not sure I buy that. Especially when you look at the rest of the East. Yeesh.
2. Ole Miss Rebels - Turning on cruise control and taking a quick nap is always a risky play, but the Rebels managed to pull it off. You have to respect that hustle.
3. LSU Tigers - TWO HUNDRED AND FORTY-FOUR YARDS THROUGH THE CORE OF THE BIG APPLE!
4. Texas A&M Aggies - Kliff Kingsbury almost certainly owes Kevin Sumlin a steak dinner after he provided the Fightin' Berts all that extra motivation.
5. Alabama Crimson Tide - We have Vanderbilt out here holding a common opponent to fewer points than the Tide, but y'all keep ragging on that offense. Run the dang ball and all that.
6. Mississippi St. Bulldogs - Dak Prescott is the SEC's tragic hero, lifted straight from the pages of a Grecian epic. Strong enough to lift his team onto his back and fell a tiger, yet doomed to watch more complete teams reach heights that he cannot.
7. Florida Gators - This Florida team might be the 2015 version of 2014 Mizzou. A great defense paired with an inconsistent offense that wins ugly, borderline unwatchable games.
8. Kentucky Wildcats - Patrick Towles has finally mastered the summoning of a patronus. Doing so against Missouri was apt. The Tigers' offense sucks the soul out of you in a similar fashion to the Dementors of Harry Potter lore.
9. Arkansas Razorbacks - You can't feed your family with moral victories, but I don't need to lecture Bret Bielema on what does and does not fill the belly.
10. Missouri Tigers - If Florida is 2014 Missouri, then Missouri is 2014 Florida. Bafflingly bad on offense, scary good on defense. Get excited to watch Ish Witter poop his pants in the Birmingham Bowl, Tiger fans!
11. Tennessee Volunteers - The Oklahoma loss may have been even worse than we originally realized. It's still early, but Butch Jones is showing symptoms of the Big Game disease that plagued Bob Stoops for so long. If the Vols don't nip this quick, Big Game Butch is going to flare up something fierce.
12. Auburn Tigers - I thought Will Muschamp was only supposed to bring his defense with him? How'd y'all let him sneak his offense past security?
13. South Carolina Gamecocks - "WAAAYYYLLLLP I s'pose ol' George was just too busy administratin' to get around to coachin' those boys up."
14. Vanderbilt Commodores - The 'Dores are going to need to win an SEC game if they want to find their way out of the cellar. At this point, I expect them to give opposing offenses trouble. Covering spreads and hitting unders isn't an improvement.
Is your team too high? Too low? Well, you're wrong, but feel free to get mad at me in the comments anyway!