It started innocently enough. Mizzou is evidently looking to land another high school offensive lineman in its 2017 class, and it found a pretty good one to offer in Peoria (Ill.)’s Kendrick Green.
Received my first SEC offer from the University of Missouri tonight. Bless up. #SEC #Mizzou 2️⃣2️⃣ pic.twitter.com/6Vx1hFZJ8Q— Kendrick J. Green (@The_fridge53) December 15, 2016
Green is listed as a high-three-star recruit per both Rivals and the 247Sports composite, and he has already taken official visits to UCF, Illinois, Iowa, and Minnesota. Probably a little late to get in on him, but at worst, Mizzou has an ‘in’ into the Peoria area: one mister Josh Augusta.
S/o to my boy @The_fridge53 for his Mizzou offer congrats bro keep helping me put Peoria on the map.— Josh Augusta (@mizzousavage) December 15, 2016
One person who noticed these tweets: Illinois running backs coach Thaddeus Ward.
I guess someone wants to take another L to the Illini in recruiting!#TricksAreForKids #PeoriaLovesChampaign— Thaddaeus Ward (@wardth09) December 15, 2016
Mizzou missed out on a couple of St. Louis-area recruits to Lovie Smith’s Illini over the summer — offensive lineman Larry Boyd and defensive back Tony Adams — and Illinois has managed to hold onto them despite going 3-9 and ranking 98th in S&P+ this year.
Someone else then noticed Ward’s tweet: Mizzou recruiting director A.J. Ofodile.
The same thing that made you laugh can make you cry! pic.twitter.com/U61Dth6fMT— A.J. Ofodile (@MUcoachAO) December 15, 2016
Shade! It’s a shade party! Mizzou and Illinois actually kind of dislike each other in football! This is great news!
Granted, this salt is coming in a recruitment that Missouri is almost certainly too late to have a chance in (hey, you never know, I guess), and granted, Mizzou currently ranks nearly 20 spots ahead of Illinois in the 247 Composite rankings. (And there’s the whole “70 percent more wins over the last decade” thing, too.)
Regardless, any Mizzou-Illinois shade is good Mizzou-Illinois shade. Let’s get that hate pumping. And maybe we can get a Braggin’ Rights football game scheduled for ... [checks future schedules] ... are you freaking kidding me? Illinois doesn’t have an open non-conference slot until 2023? Seriously? That’s even worse than Mizzou.
Plenty of time for the hate to ferment, then, I guess.
Apropos of nothing:
But I digress.
More recruiting links:
- OL commits Yasir Durant and Pompey Coleman signed their letters of intent on Wednesday and will enroll in January. Running back commit Isaiah Miller is expected to do the same soon.
Welcome the 1st signee of the #ShowMe17 family! @YasirDurant_ is a HUGE piece & exactly what @MizzouFootball is all about! #TheBeginning pic.twitter.com/SPBeLU1F5A— ShowMe17 (@MizzouShowMe17) December 14, 2016
Jordan Barnett makes his 2016-17 debut on Saturday
To say the least, it would be stupendous if you were awesome, Jordan.
- Mizzou baseball will be on national TV nine times this coming season — eight times on SEC Network (or SEC Network Bases Loaded Coverage) and once on ESPNU.
- Vollyballers Carly Kan, Melanie Crow, and Alyssa Munlyn were all chosen as AVCA All-Americans. And only Carly is a senior!
- The Missourian says that Sophie Cunningham’s back injury has opened the door for others to step up. The Tigers certainly looked pretty good last week, but ... come back soon, Soph.
- Mizzou’s got five divers heading to the USA Diving Winter Nationals — a senior, three juniors, and a sophomore. Lot of young talent in just about every Mizzou sport these days.