A few weeks ago, we mourned the death of Mizzou’s East St. Louis recruiting pipeline. Somewhat implicit in that was the acknowledgment that ESL quarterback Rey Estes was reasonably likely to decommit from Mizzou at some point in the coming weeks. He didn’t flip to Illinois, but he did flip:
I am bringing the recruiting process to an end it's been a long journey and I'm more then bless to play on the next level PROUD GOPHER pic.twitter.com/bAmjjuJGmr— rey (@ese_tipo5) January 18, 2017
Estes was committed to PJ Fleck and Western Michigan before he flipped to Mizzou in the summer, and his wandering eye caught Fleck at the coach’s new location.
It’s hard to be too broken up about this because we kind of knew it could happen and because quarterback isn’t an enormous need in the 2017 class. Still, it happened, and Mizzou’s commit list is back down to 20 names.
Odom visited ESL as soon as the dead period ended, as much to make sure all fences were properly maintained moving forward. We’ll see. But this was definitely a tough year for the rather high-maintenance relationship.
It also further introduces an interesting conundrum: Mizzou has been clear in its intention to sign a full class, which, with early enrollees could stretch to 28 players. But that means that only eight spots remain available, and if you check the visit list, there are only a couple of uncommitted visitors on the way over the next couple of weekends. There are always surprises, but ... probably not eight of them.
In other words, Mizzou might fill a full 28 scholarships, but expect the grind to move past National Signing Day. And maybe expect Mizzou to be a player in the transfer market?
In other recruiting tweets/links...
- The fight to keep Elijah Gardiner continues.
Great home visit with the University of Texas. pic.twitter.com/0D9zOu0h4f— Eli (@elijahgardiner) January 18, 2017
This is going to be a tough couple of weeks in the battle for Gardiner’s signature. It’s hard to resist the draw of an in-state heavyweight.
- The visitor list for the weekend just got a little bit lighter: DC-area defensive tackle Jalen Twyman canceled.
Through Thinking It With My Family Its My Best Interests To Cancel My Mizzou Official Thank The Staff And Fans For The Love Wish For Best— THEANSWER (@JaylenTwyman) January 19, 2017
- Mizzou sent three coaches to check on Larry Rountree yesterday.
3rd home visit went great,proud to join the Mizzou family. pic.twitter.com/gXvdiIp3CY— Larry L Rountree III (@LRountreeIII) January 18, 2017
- Charles Harris: No. 36.
- You figure the Mizzou women’s hoops team needs to go about 7-4 the rest of the way in conference play to be positioned for an NCAA tourney bid. (That would get the Tigers to 9-7 in SEC play and 19-11 overall heading into the postseason.) That makes tonight’s home game against No. 25 Texas A&M (8pm CT, SECN) a pretty big one.
- In anticipation of tonight’s women’s game, here’s a Mizzou Network feature on Sierra Michaelis.
- Daniel Lewis, MAC wrestler of the week.
- This is pretty cool.
Latest addition to the new Mizzou Stadium?— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) January 19, 2017
How about sweet LED Tigers signage on the front of the press box!
Mizzou, by the way, was picked ninth in the SEC preseason poll.
Mizzou softball picked to finish ninth in SEC Preseason Coaches poll. pic.twitter.com/tRUtcsQMT7— Joe Vozzelli (@JoeVozzelli) January 18, 2017
That’s a spot or two lower than I was guessing, so I take back my “Mizzou will underachieve a bit” proclamation. Now my guess is the Tigers will simply ... achieve.
- This week’s PAPN is up! Nothing Mizzou-specific, though the “fit vs. making a splash” discussion applies to just about every school.