Mizzou Basketball held an open practice of sorts on Thursday, which means ... it’s picture time! The Post-Dispatch posted a gallery, as did PowerMizzou and The Trib. The KC Star posted some video. The Trib’s Tim Tal shared some shots on Twitter.
Being that this wasn’t anything more than Mizzou players smiling, running, and jumping a bit (Jeremiah Tilmon can jump quite high), there’s not exactly much newsworthy here. But hey, smiling is good. And the P-D’s Dave Matter did share some quick impressions:
My golden takeaways from watching #Mizzou practice, mostly testing drills without a ball to be seen: Tilmon RUNS the floor - doesn't lumber— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) October 12, 2017
Blake Harris is a big guard - but speedy and smooth. Kevin Puryear is in great shape. Lean, fast & agile during his drills.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) October 12, 2017
Jordan Barnett apparently lived in the weight room this offseason. Really bulked up in the upper body.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) October 12, 2017
Jontay Porter's going to benefit from a college strength staff. Huge frame but weight room will tone him up.— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) October 12, 2017
Meanwhile, it probably goes without saying that, with a BORDER WAR SCRIMMAGE!!! potentially on the horizon, the KC Star’s Vahe Gregorian has some thoughts. He’s been prepping for this moment for years.
In 30 years in this business, any top 25 of events I’ve covered, maybe even top 10, immediately includes the home-and-home series in 2011-2012 and the 2007 football game between the teams.
Not because of who won or lost but the stakes and the passion that came with the exclusive relationship.
Something important was lost.
But now there is a new baseline, a potential foundation for rebuilding trust between the two.
- Terez Hall has arguably (or perhaps inarguably) been Missouri’s best defensive player this year. He’s not quite satisfied yet, though. At 1-4, it’s hard to be satisfied about anything, I’m guessing. (He’s also not going to let the targeting rule change how hard he tries to hit.)
- Mizzou quarterback commit James Foster II will be playing in the MIssissippi-Alabama all-star game.
Blessed to be apart of the Mississippi & Alabama All Star Game ! pic.twitter.com/hF48ODRKHp— James Foster II (@YungSimba4) October 13, 2017
- Throwback Thursday with Martin Rucker!
- Mizzou Soccer won! After a series of competitive losses, the Tigers broke a 1-1 tie with Kentucky with a Jessica Johnson goal in the 83rd minute and posted their sixth win of the season, 2-1.
POSTGAME INTERVIEW: Jessica Johnson relives her game winning goal at Kentucky pic.twitter.com/vWWskMMI7z— Mizzou Network (@MizzouNetwork) October 13, 2017
- So Mizzou Men’s Golf is up to No. 7 in the country! I missed that, apparently. The Tigers are headed to Jonesborough, Tenn., for the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate today through Sunday. The field will feature three other ranked squads.
- Mizzou Cross Country is splitting up this week — some Tiger runners will go to the Bradley Classic in Peoria today, while others will go to the Pre-National Invitational in Louisville tomorrow.
- Taylor Gadbois, USA Softball national team member? Possibly!