It’s two days to Homecoming, and we’re once again talking hoops. What a time to be alive.
Mizzou sent Cuonzo Martin, Michael Porter Jr., and Kevin Puryear to Nashville for SEC Hoops media day yesterday, and Porter stole the show in a few different ways.
For starters, he was named preseason SEC co-player of the year with Georgia’s Yante Maten and Texas A&M’s Robert Williams. But he also continued to insist that he’s not guaranteed to jump after one year.
While meeting with reporters at SEC Media Day on Wednesday, Porter emphasized the fact that he’s considering spending more than one year with the Tigers.
"Everybody thinks I'm not serious when I say that, but I actually might spend more than one year in college."
Porter said his main goal is to “leave a legacy” at Mizzou, and that he would consider returning for his sophomore year if the team struggles. Missouri hasn’t made the NCAA tournament in five years.
MPJ: "Everybody thinks I'm not serious when I say that, but I actually might spend more than one year in college." pic.twitter.com/axbAAUDZsq— Colton Pouncy (@CTPSports) October 18, 2017
I mean, a) we will all continue to assume he’s gone until he isn’t, and b) part of the sentiment is based on Missouri struggling this year, so a one-and-done probably means this year was a lot of fun. I think Mizzou fans would be fin with him staying only one year if that’s the case. Regardless ... it’s easy to get a bit of a gleam in your eye when he starts talking about legacies and what Missouri means to him.
Oh yeah, and then Porter also said that Sunday’s scrimmage against Kansas ... isn’t a scrimmage. Mizzou is playing to win. He knows every button to push. (Be careful if you’re trying to find tickets to that, by the way.)
More Basketball Links:
- KC Star: Why are scouts so crazy about Michael Porter Jr.? A breakdown of his skills
- Post-Dispatch: Porter's arrival changes perception of Mizzou
- The Trib: ‘I wanted to leave a legacy’
- KC Star: ‘Ashamed’ of Missouri’s losing past, Kevin Puryear embraces new role
- The Missourian: At SEC media day, Martin talks Big 12 rivalry
- Oh yeah, and if you’re keeping up with 2019 recruiting — and I know you are! — this tidbit is pretty exciting:
Mario McKinney tells me he's making the trip to Columbia this weekend for #Mizzou Madness. Should be his third trip to Columbia.— Matthew Harris (@MattJHarris85) October 19, 2017
McKinney also said the plan is for Belleville West combo forward E.J. Liddell to make the trek to Columbia for #Mizzou Madness.— Matthew Harris (@MattJHarris85) October 19, 2017
- Homecoming hype video? I’m here for it.
- Mizzou had a situation on campus yesterday, and students were not particularly impressed with how officials handled it.
- He’s no Matt Foley*, but motivational speaker Jon Gordon visited Missouri this week.
* I’m old. That’s an old reference now.
- The Kickin’ for a Cure match! Mizzou Soccer hosts No. 3 South Carolina tonight.
- Only one match for Mizzou Volleyball this weekend instead of the customary two: the Tigers host Georgia on Friday night.
- Mizzou Baseball’s Fall World Series is ongoing — the fifth game is this afternoon, the sixth tomorrow evening, and the seventh next Tuesday.
- New PAPN! In which we talk about my Mike Gundy piece, Michigan-Penn State, Memphis-Navy, Josh Allen, High West Double Rye, and a whole bunch of stuff that isn’t Mizzou.