They say you only remember the long-snapper’s name if he does something bad. That’s not quite true — former Tiger Beau Brinkley is so good at his job that he’s still earning a million dollars a year to long-snap in the NFL, and I would say quite a few Mizzou fans probably remember his name.
However, if you asked Mizzou fans to name the team’s current long-snapper, you might get a blank look. I know I couldn’t have named James Workman III right offhand, at least not until reading this Missourian piece.
James Workman III played in every game as a walk-on long snapper at San Jose State in 2016 and hoped to earn a scholarship. But the school fired coach Ron Caragher, and the new staff was hesitant to extend an offer. San Jose State's tuition was too expensive, and Workman III was forced to transfer.
The father and son were five hours into a seven-hour trek from their Seattle home to Boise State, where Workman III was planning to enroll. His life plans shifted when he received a timely phone call from Matt Wigley.
Wigley is Workman III's private long-snapping trainer. Kenronte Walker, Wigley's former college roommate who's now a graduate assistant at Missouri, said the Tigers needed a long snapper.
Read the whole story. Workman’s journey to Columbia featured both perseverance and a little bit of faith in the NCAA (which requires mega-faith). And he’s been awesome thus far. For all of the problems this Mizzou team has to deal with, Workman’s trip to Columbia has assured long-snapping isn’t one of them.
More Football Links:
- Kentucky has one thing that Mizzou craves: consistency.
- It’s come in fits and starts, but UK continues to inch forward under Mark Stoops.
- Martin Rucker shares his thoughts on Mizzou and the Kentucky game.
- I’m really not sure I could like Sophie Cunningham any more if I tried. She’s awesome (which doesn’t hurt), she’s tough as hell (played through a back injury last year), and ... she’s kind of a dork. Which is obviously incredibly appealing to the dork writing this.
@CoachPingeton hmm....I'll just leave this here and you can tell me what you think https://t.co/HHkvAbhwgx— Sophie Cunningham (@sophaller) October 5, 2017
First you park in my spot, then you try to take over my office .....just figured this was next! https://t.co/tBTjQSKzA5— Robin Pingeton (@CoachPingeton) October 5, 2017
MPJ pic.twitter.com/TIAXKPSBsb— Courtside Films (@CourtsideFilms) October 5, 2017
Squad #MIZ pic.twitter.com/TO4ZjTB05x— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouHoops) October 5, 2017
- Well ... Mizzou Soccer did alright against No. 9 Florida in Gainesville. The one problem: a truly god-awful minute did the Tigers in. The Gators scored at the 12:10 and 12:36 marks of the first half, and that was that. Madison Lewis’ fifth goal of the season cut Florida’s lead to 2-1 in the second half, but Florida held on, 2-1.
- Mizzou Swimmer Sharli Brady is versatile, fun, and now one of the Tigers’ best.
- There is no person in the world better equipped to do a Throwback Thursday interview segment than Gary Link.