Our fearless leader made a good point this morning: Stephen F. Austin could prove a tad pesky.
Let’s look at the tale of the tape.
The Lumberjacks game plan is pretty simple: speed you up, force turnovers and generate offense. That’s not overstating it, either. Coach Kyle Keller’s crew ranks second nationally by taking 14.3 percent of its shots within 10 seconds of steal. Overall, one in five of their initial shot attempts come off a turnover.
And, well, Mizzou has struggled with valuing the ball. I’m sure we’ve told you that before, too.
This isn’t a game SFA wants to see played in the half court. Only one player, junior TJ Holyfield, in the Jacks regular rotation is taller than 6-foot-7. At almost every position, Mizzou will have a size advantage. Having to settle in and defend Missouri isn’t ideal, because, even if they force a miss, SFA doesn’t have the rebounding ability to choke off second possessions.
If Mizzou doesn’t turn the ball over, it might also beat a path to the foul line. (Keller’s crew leads the nation in putting teams on the stripe.) There’s a scenario for disaster where MU’s perimeter shooting is off target and it gives away possessions. But you can also envision a scenario where they bog down the Jacks on both ends, keep the pace controlled and knock in enough 3-pointers to get separation.
We’ll have to see which unfolds.
The Highlights #Mizzou 85, North Florida 51 #MIZ pic.twitter.com/z4u7AXjBkG— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouHoops) December 17, 2017
- 3 Thoughts: Jordan Barnett, a slower second half, and Jontay Porter being just about perfect
- Study Hall: Mizzou 85, North Florida 51
- Mizzou Basketball First Quarter Report Card
- The Watch
On the latest episode of Dive Cuts, We talked MPJ injury updates and confusion. Plus a dive into what the SEC has done in non-conference play so far.
Opponent: Stephen F. Austin (10-1)
Time: 8 p.m. CT
Where: Mizzou Arena, Columbia, Mo.
IS MIZZOU RECEIVING TOP 25 VOTES? MU picked up seven points in the coaches’ poll.
WHAT DOES VEGAS SAY? Missouri -15, O/U 145.
WHAT DOES KenPom SAY? Missouri, 77-66
WHERE TO WATCH/LISTEN:
- TV: ESPNU, Dave Neal and Jimmy Dykes
- Radio: Tiger Radio Network // Sirius/XM -119/199
Facebook: Mizzou Men’s Basketball
Live Stats: StatBroadcast
- Without looking, can you spell the name of the city where Stephen F. Austin is located?
- Better Texan: Sam Houston of Stephen F. Austin?
- How many points will the Lumberjacks score off turnovers?
- Has Missouri ever lost to a Southland Conference opponent?
- Who is your trifecta?