The big news of the day yesterday was very clearly C.J. Roberts’ decision to transfer from Mizzou. Matt Harris jumped on the news and pointed out one very clear possibility for the Tigers:
Since backing off his pledge to Louisville, which fired Rick Pitino after it was ensnared in a federal investigation into bribery and college basketball, Courtney Ramey and his father, Terrell, have worked deliberately to find the top-40 prospect a new home. During October, coaches beat a path to Webster Groves’ open gyms, including new suitors like Villanova, UCLA, Clemson, and, yes, Missouri.
But the clock slowed down when the Rameys announced he intended to sign during the spring period in early April. Since late September, Mizzou fans have hoped Martin’s momentum in St. Louis would carry Ramey west to Columbia.
Mizzou is still likely operating from behind in the Ramey sweepstakes, and I certainly don’t know if I’d feel confident about Mizzou’s chances, even with the Crystal Ball at 247sports and Cuonzo Martin’s recent recruiting wins in and around St. Louis.
But the move and the timing is certainly interesting. Roberts was originally a Kim Anderson recruit and one who Cuonzo Martin had to work to retain. Initially as the highest rated recruit landed in the Anderson era, Roberts saw his rating drop a bit as he dealt with a few injuries his senior year, but we were still positive about him joining the squad.
But it wasn’t meant to be as he clearly struggled to crack the rotation and the staff decided to redshirt him. Clearly, Roberts decided he just wanted a different opportunity. So good luck to him.
The rest of the media talked about it, so here they are:
- Alex Schiffer broke the news at the KC Star
- Dave Matter on the Roberts transfer
- Cam Teague mentioned the name Tyger Campbell also
- Will Jarvis broke it down as well
- Meanwhile, Jarvis also had a piece on Mizzou and their turnover battles
- And Aaron Reiss looked at Cuonzo Martin’s displeasure in the win against Miami
- Some guy named Tashan Reed had a great piece on how Lindsey Cunningham is still impacting Mizzou Women’s Hoops.
She was a standout in her time as an athlete including: second-most games played in program history (129), second all-time in career 3-point percentage (40.6), and ninth all-time in career assists (310).
Through just eight games, she's already leaving a new mark.
"I certainly miss her on the court," Pingeton said. "She's been with us for five years so it was fun to have her out there and she's such a utility kid. On the other hand, I love having her in the office. I love having the chance to see her everyday."
- The women are currently turning their attention to SLU, who they play tonight at 7pm.
- The SEC released it’s All Freshman team, and Mizzou was well represented, with Trystan Castillo, Albert Okwuegbunam, Larry Rountree III and Tre Williams were all honored.
- There’s also a chance of commitment this weekend as the Tigers have a bunch of big time recruits heading for official visits:
As posted this morning @PowerMizzoucom top 100 prospect Michael Thompson Jr. will take his official visit to #Mizzou this weekend. We’ll have a full list of visitors tomorrow morning.— Gabe DeArmond (@GabeDeArmond) December 7, 2017
Missouri official Visit tomorrow #MIZ #ShowMe18 pic.twitter.com/GTD6QYUvoE— JayJay (@jahmirjohnson34) December 8, 2017
Mizzou This Weekend‼️ #ShowMe18— Javon Foster (@_ybvon) December 8, 2017
- The South End Zone is gonna be faaaaancy
- SWEET SIXTEEN!!!! Mizzou faces Penn State at 1:00 pm. They’re, uh, pretty good. The Nittany Lions have lost once all year, so they’re due... right?