1. Over half of Barry Odom’s original staff is gone
- Original offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Josh Heupel is now UCF head coach
- Original defensive coordinator and linebackers DeMontie Cross was fired early in 2016.
- Original offensive line coach Glen Elarbee followed Heupel to UCF.
- Original defensive line coach Chris Wilson is the Philadelphia Eagles’ defensive line coach. Replacement Jackie Shipp was fired late in 2016.
- Original cornerbacks coach Greg Brown is now Auburn’s defensive backs coach.
From Barry Odom’s original staff, only running backs coach Cornell Ford (a Gary Pinkel holdover), receivers coach Andy Hill (ditto), tight ends coach Joe Jon Finley, and defensive backs coach-turned-defensive coordinator Ryan Walters remain.
Most of this attrition is due to promotion of sorts. That suggests Odom is a decent evaluator of coaching talent and could do well in finding a replacement for guys like Heupel and Elarbee. Here’s to hoping anyway. Because he’s got a lot of coaching talent to evaluate.
2. Mizzou Volleyball’s Sweet 16 run is over
The Tigers were predictably swept by No. 1 seed Penn State in linear fashion: 25-17, 25-18, 25-19. They reached the Sweet 16 for the second straight run, an incredible achievement, but they were no match for the typically dominant Nittany Lions.
3. Eric Beisel made a highlight video
Link to full highlights in bio: pic.twitter.com/Hn9i3ye3z3— Eric Beisel (@ericbeisel38) December 7, 2017
4. A fiercely important football recruit is on campus at the moment
That’s Michael Thompson, the four-star defensive tackle from Parkway North and a borderline top-50 recruit overall, taking a good look at Mizzou.