Is two a winning streak? Not really, but three definitely is! Mizzou tries for three in a row at home when Alabama comes to town tomorrow (7:30 pm CT, SECN).
Meanwhile, if you’re waiting on ... other things ... the dominoes may be getting ready to topple when it comes to this year’s coaching carousel. Reports are emerging about Mark Gottfried’s likely ouster at NC State. Being that this is always a giant kabuki dance, the school is denying the reports, but ... this is Gottfried’s sixth year in Raleigh, and despite an all-world talent in Dennis Smith Jr., the Wolfpack are 14-12 and 103rd in the Pomeroy ratings. They were 16-17 last year. It would be a surprise if NC State didn’t throw its hat into the coaching search ring this offseason.
Why does this matter? Well, if you’re of the mind that Mizzou will still be looking for a new coach this offseason, NC State is one of the schools that could potentially bump the Tigers down a spot in the pecking order. Others, like Illinois (14-12, 4-9 in conference play) and maybe Indiana (15-11, 5-8) could come open soon, too.
Mizzou’s actually playing well on the court at the moment, so our own local discussion seems to have briefly shifted more toward “What does Kim Anderson have to do to keep his job?” But the dominoes are still lining up.
- Another day, another seven-figure gift. “The University of Missouri Department of Intercollegiate Athletics has received its ninth, seven-figure gift toward the new south end zone facility at Memorial Stadium/Faurot Field which is scheduled to open ahead of the 2019 football season. An anonymous donor made a $2 million gift toward the project, which is currently being designed by the Kansas City-based architecture firm Populous, last Friday.”
- PowerMizzou’s Brian Austin summarized this past recruiting weekend for Mizzou and warned about the crazy ride ahead. “There's no doubt that landing all ten prospects is still a long shot. The chances for a majority are trending up though.” More “Super Sunday” reactions from The Missourian. Meanwhile, The Trib’s Blake Toppmeyer looks into his crystal ball for what might happen on the field this fall.
- You know what you’re dying to do? Listen to my Big Show appearance from yesterday.
Meanwhile, congrats to the Big Show’s Matt Michaels on his new spring side gig:
- The SEC swimming & diving championships begin today in Knoxville and run through Saturday. A nice, five-day meet in the middle of the semester.
- Baseball coach Steve Bieser took questions from the media on Monday afternoon. "The thing I've been most impressed with is that every single guy on this team has bought into the process.” The Process! We have a baseball Saban! Meanwhile, The Maneater takes a look at the biggest matchups of the season.