A few quick basketball recruiting notes for you:
1. C.J. Roberts and his father enjoyed Cuonzo Martin’s visit
This according to both the KC Star and Roberts’ father himself — he confirmed these sentiments to our Tramel Raggs last night. From the Star:
“As impressive as he was today, as sincere as he was and passionate, he’s trying to cram something that Coach Anderson and his staff did in four or five months into three days,” Roberts Sr. said. “That’s the tough part about it. This is our first time ever laying eyes on him.”
He told Tramel that they were impressed with Martin in general and that they would try to decide on Sunday if they needed to revisit Mizzou’s campus before making a decision one way or the other.
2. Guard Blake Harris will visit Columbia this week
From @TheSchiffMan top 150 guard Blake Harris down to two, visits #Mizzou on Monday: https://t.co/9HQ87C07SE pic.twitter.com/V2Py6gfIqo— Brian Austin (@btaustin) March 25, 2017
A few quick things to know about Harris:
- Like Michael Porter Jr., Harris is a former Washington commit who recently got a release from his Letter of Intent.
- He is the No. 99 overall prospect per the ESPN 100, No. 124 in the 247Sports Composite, and No. 142 per Rivals.com. Basically, he is a Terrence Phillips-level recruit: Phillips was also No. 142 per Rivals.
- Per ESPN ($), his best strengths are his vision and passing ability, and his biggest weakness is ... his weakness. "He's neither especially strong nor truly explosive in a half-court game and so he can get bumped off the line of his drive." So whereas C.J. Roberts could be interesting as a combo guard and might have more natural scoring ability, Harris is more of a true point guard.
- It appears it’s between Mizzou and NC State (with new coach Kevin Keatts) for Harris’ services.
great talk with coach today! pic.twitter.com/gvzHY8CIBp— Blake Harris (@blizzyblake55_) March 22, 2017
3. Edwardsville’s Mark Smith visited Kansas State this weekend
Mark Smith, player of the year from Edwardsville, visiting K-State and likely Ohio State and Butler. Home visits with Cuonzo and Underwood.— Frank Cusumano (@Frank_Cusumano) March 25, 2017
Smith is a four-star guard who was once committed to Mizzou Baseball as a pitcher. He’s a strong shooter, but it appears it’s going to be hard to get his attention here. He is in heavy demand. Here’s a decent Smith profile for you, from back before the coaching carousel began.