Man oh man, we’re packing like a year’s worth of basketball recruiting news into a month, aren’t we? Here’s the latest on Cuonzo Martin’s 2017 recruiting class.
Indeed, Roberts is aboard. We should have audio with Roberts’ dad going up later in the week. In the meantime, some reading material:
- Post-Dispatch: Roberts sticks with Mizzou basketball commitment
- PowerMizzou: C.J. Roberts sticks with Mizzou
- The Trib: Roberts says he's sticking with Missouri
- The Missourian: Four-star guard Roberts sticks with Missouri
After doing some research on Martin, Knox Sr. said it appears Martin is “a pretty straightforward, defensive-minded coach.”
“I’m a pretty straightforward, defensive-minded dad, so — so far — it’s working out just on the surface of everything,” Knox Sr. said. “We’re just now going internal on a lot of things.” [...]
Knox Sr. maintains he’s not worried about how quickly Missouri has jumped into the picture and added that it’s a testament to “who Cuonzo Martin is.”
PowerMizzou’s Alex Schiffer spoke with Jontay — a 2018 recruiting thinking about reclassifying to 2017 — about his latest thoughts on the matter. It’s a fun read, but the main bullet point hasn’t changed of late:
“As of right now I don’t think I’m going to reclass but that can change,” he told PowerMizzou.com. “We haven’t had time to really sit down and talk about it as a family. We’re all over the place right now.”
You can cross one name off the list. The five-star Illinois signee retweeted this July tweet yesterday:
One assumes that means that he, like C.J. Roberts, has reaffirmed his commitment.
Michael and Marcus Weathers
Here’s a new name (or pair of names) for you.
Texas Tech, Arkansas & Missouri are the latest to reach out to transfer PG Michael Weathers (@_MKJ24), he tells me.— Julius Kim (@JKimElevate) April 4, 2017
Michael and Marcus Weathers are Shawnee Mission North products who played for Miami (Ohio) as freshmen and are looking to transfer.
Michael and Marcus were the leading and third-leading scorers, respectively, as freshmen this season for Miami University in Ohio.
Michael Weathers, a 6-foot-2 point guard, averaged 16.7 points, 4.8 assists, 4.2 rebounds and 1.9 steals per game. Marcus, a 6-5 small forward, averaged 9.7 points and 6.0 rebounds per game.
“We just want to be closer to home or have a different opportunity,” Michael Weathers said in a phone interview Tuesday. “We feel like now is the right time for the decision for both of us to go into a new program and help a team win.”
I would be a little bit surprised if Mizzou indeed took two transfers here, if only because they’d have to sit out next year, occupying two spots on the bench in what is taking shape as an “all hands on deck while we’ve got Michael Porter Jr.” type of season. Still, they’re evidently on the radar. Or at least, Michael is.
- Want to listen to my weekly Monday appearance on The Big Show?
- BRAGGIN’ RIGHTS TIME. Mizzou Baseball faces Illinois tonight at 6:30 pm CT in Sauget, Ill., at the home of the Gateway Grizzlies. After five one-run losses in a row, the 21-7 Tigers kiiiiiinda need this one.
- Chase Daniel’s back with the New Orleans Saints, still chasing an NFL starting job. "For me, it was about an opportunity to not only come back to New Orleans ... but also put myself in a position to become a starter down the road. Now, is it in New Orleans? I don't know. Is it somewhere else? Hopefully." Power to him.