Missouri head basketball coach Cuonzo Martin made an appearance in Mendon for the Mizzou Caravan, and he had some pretty exciting things to say about new signee Jeremiah Tilmon. (I guess the real news would be if he had displeasing things to say, but go with me here.)
“He’s a talented basketball player and a wonderful young man. ... He has good size, at 6-(foot)-10 and 235 pounds, and that’s something we felt like we needed. But he also has the ability to run the floor and to block shots, so we’re very excited to have him on board.”
“He’s a legitimate big guy, but he’s a mobile big guy. ... “We have to continue to hone in on his skills and improve his offensive skills, working with his moves and his ability to face up and make plays,” Martin said. ... “Defensively, he’s a good shot blocker at the high school level. The next phase when he gets to this level is to be able to block shots and stay out of foul trouble.”
The addition of Tilmon gave Mizzou the No. 6 recruiting class in the country and addressed a pretty severe roster need.
- “This season is an anomaly. It’s not something we plan on repeating.” That’s what Ehren Earleywine says in the run-up to Mizzou Softball’s first pitch in the NCAA Eugene Regional. Earleywine has a history with Oregon head coach Mike White — the two played fastpitch softball together and have split 8 meetings — but the Tigers first have to get past Wisconsin to get to (probably) Oregon. One assumes Cheyenne Baxter, whose “story should be a movie” and who “just kept seeing [her] name more and more (in the lineup),” will be on the mound tonight.
- Really nice 5-0 win for Mizzou Baseball at Tennessee last night. TJ Sikkema — a freshman — scored his eighth win of the year (in only his second start) and notched the Tigers’ first complete game shutout in more than two years. Meanwhile, most of the offense was provided by a one swing, a grand slam by Matt Berler. Mizzou has 33 wins, and while the RPI probably isn’t going to improve that much, the Tigers’ best shot at an NCAA bid is to get to about 35 or so and basically dare the committee to deny a 35-win SEC team.
With 5-0 win at Tennessee, Mizzou's 33 Ws most in reg season since 2008. MU at 12-16 in SEC, chance for 2nd-most league Ws over last 8 years— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) May 19, 2017
- There are some pretty impressive names on Mizzou’s offensive line recruiting board this year. Now the Tigers need to go and land a couple of them.
- It probably went without saying that Vahe Gregorian would have some things to say about the possible Norm Stewart statue.
- Mizzou Track & Field is sending 26 athletes to the NCAA Regionals in Austin next week. A nice haul.
- MIZZOU TENNIS JUST ADDED SERENA (Nash)!
- Mizzou Soccer goalkeepers coach Molly Schneider has been promoted to associate head coach. Goalkeeping has been a relative strength for the Tigers over the last couple of years.
PLEDGE TO THE STUBBLE DRIVE! It’s not too late! (And really, you don’t have to pledge at all — just make sure to donate when it’s time.)