Hey, kids! Do you like DeMarre Carroll and Laurence Bowers? And Melvin Booker and Kareem Rush? And all sorts of other former Mizzou hoops stars? Because they’ll be playing at Mizzou Arena on July 22.
Tickets for the game, which Bowers is hosting on July 22 at Mizzou Arena, along with Toronto Raptors forward DeMarre Carroll, will be on sale for a $5 donation from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Friday at the Boys & Girls Clubs of Columbia at 1200 N. Seventh St. In addition, tickets will be available during another presale at a to-be-determined date in July and at the door on game day.
Twenty-six former basketball and football players will participate in the game, including hoops standouts Kareem Rush and Melvin Booker. [...]
Bowers said he'll release details about the rest of the attendees incrementally — on Tuesdays and Thursdays — and added that the full list "won't disappoint." Updates can be found on his social media accounts, @LBowers_21 on Twitter and laurence.bowers on Instagram.
This Friday at The Boys & Girls Club of Columbia! GET THEM EARLY! Tickets will also be available at the door! pic.twitter.com/SPduyn9Iva— Laurence Bowers (@LBowers_21) June 21, 2017
Yeah, this should be fun.
- Any interest in a Jontay Porter EYBL highlight reel? Thought so.
By the way, I heard from friends with SOURCES yesterday that Jontay is now extremely unlikely to reclassify ... and that he’s still pretty likely to reclassify. Glad to be able to clear that up for everybody.
- Lists! Three-star North Carolina receiver Bryce Wheaton has cut his list to four, and Mizzou’s on it (though it appears WVU is the favorite).
- As predicted by Sam Snelling, 2019 wing Christian Bishop committed to Creighton last night. Another key 2019er, Mario McKinney, is planning his visits.
- Preview season has begun! The Trib’s Blake Toppmeyer takes a look at Missouri State.
- Mizzou Baseball draftees Tanner Houck and Robbie Glendinning have officially signed contracts with the teams that drafted them. And Houck made a pretty nice signing bonus in the process.
AP reported today that former #Mizzou pitcher Tanner Houck reached a deal with the Boston Red Sox that included a $2.6 million signing bonus— Blake Toppmeyer (@btoppmeyer) June 21, 2017
- Speaking of Mizzou Baseball in the pros ... Max Scherzer struck out the first six batters he faced and took a no-hitter 7 1/3 innings before faltering late for the Nationals yesterday.
- Former Mizzou wrestler and two-time world champion Michael Chandler will be defending his Bellator lightweight title in New York this weekend.
- This is a few days old, but the KC Star checked in on how former Mizzou hoops star Keyon Dooling is doing in his work with the NBAPA.
- The academic year is over as far as Mizzou and NCAA athletics go, but four Mizzou track & field athletes will be competing at this weekend’s USA Track & Field Championships in Sacramento: Karissa Schweizer and Gabi Jacobs at the senior level and Ja’Mari Ward and Emily Stauffer at the junior level.
- NEW PAPN! Godfrey and I talked a bit about the whole “local athletes vs. local media” thing and the future of beat writing. We also talked a lot about the Big Ten, which I am in the middle of previewing at the moment. (I previewed 2017 Mizzou opponent Purdue on Tuesday and Braggin’ Rights rival Illinois on Wednesday.)