For obvious reasons, Missouri had absolutely nothing to do with the NBA draft last night. No Tiger names were magically called. But Jefferson City grad OG Anunoby was taken with the 23rd pick, which is interesting for two reasons.
First, it continues a rather mortifying trend, as shared by Gabe Dearmond last night.
Since 2005 8 Missouri high school players have been 1st rd draft picks. None have gone to #Mizzou. Kareem Rush last local MU 1st rdr in 2002— Gabe DeArmond (@GabeDeArmond) June 23, 2017
Now, I’m a big “sealing the borders is an overrated concept” guy, as you probably know by now, but the state of Missouri has produced nine first-round picks since 2005, and none have gone to Mizzou? That’s just ... damn. Obviously that’s going to change next fall when Michael Porter Jr. has his name called, but ... damn.
Second, Anunoby was a “the one who got away” guy — Mizzou let him go. Kim Anderson and staff didn’t even offer him.
Just remember, Missouri did not offer OG Anunoby a scholarship to play basketball.— Sam Snelling (@SamTSnelling) June 23, 2017
It’s still crazy to me, OG was passed over for KP. Not a knock on KP, but it’s a modern game, they CAN play at the same time.— Sam Snelling (@SamTSnelling) June 23, 2017
I remember watching OG in a summer pickup game and was just perplexed how he was an unranked 3-star.— Sam Snelling (@SamTSnelling) June 23, 2017
the TALENT was always evident with OG, and for a roster so devoid of talent why not take a 1/13 chance ya know?— Sam Snelling (@SamTSnelling) June 23, 2017
One key addendum:
There’s something very cathartic about going down those roads occasionally, then reminding yourself MPJ is on the roster now— Sam Snelling (@SamTSnelling) June 23, 2017
We’ve had a lot of fun looking forward in recent months, and that will continue. Any complaints about Kim Anderson just seem like pointless bitterness when you think about what the team Mizzou fans get to watch this coming fall and winter.
That said ... to wallow one last time ... it’s just staggering to realize that Mizzou offered Cullen VanLeer and players like Vanderbilt’s Joe Toye (6 PPG last year), Xavier’s Kaiser Gates (also 6 PPG), and, yes, even Kevin Puryear (though as Sam mentions, they probably could have co-existed just fine), and not the elite defender who got a first-round ‘offer’ from the Toronto Raptors despite coming off of a knee injury.
Anunoby is a raw talent who’s still more based on potential than proven production, but ... it’s just nuts. Anyway. Enough of that. The tone of next year’s post-draft post will probably be just slightly different.
- Mizzou is going to rent out space in its closed-down dorms for football games this fall. I want to make fun of this idea really badly ... but I also kind of love it. And hey, it might get SBN’s Richard Johnson to town for a game, so that’s a plus.
- I feel like a failure for not knowing that Mizzou had the fewest negative plays in the country last year.
- Blake Toppmeyer previewed the South Carolina game.
- PowerMizzou’s Brian Austin has your weekly summary of Mizzou football offers, commits, and trimmed lists.
- We’ve heard it before, but the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and their fans are starting to learn L’Damian Washington’s story. They’re also learning about his big-play ability. (No. 77 for a receiver!! That’s fantastic.)
- Long snapper-turned-poker player? Well that’s unique.
- Now you’re just showing off, Chase Daniel.