Yesterday was ... FINANCES DAY! USA Today’s annual look at NCAA revenue and expenses was released, and it probably makes sense that Mizzou’s rankings in both revenue (30th) and the Learfield Cup standings (33rd) were similar. That’s how it’s supposed to work, anyway.
It continues to be pretty incredible to step back and think about being 30th in the county in something ... and 12th in your own damn conference in that same thing. SEC teams took up six of the top 10 spots and 10 of the top 17. Among public schools, Mizzou would have been fourth in the Big 12 and ninth in the Big Ten.
Texas A&M led the league in revenue and ranked No. 1 nationally with $194,388,450, while Alabama spent the most on athletics in the SEC, $145,277,366. Vanderbilt, a private school, did not disclose its financial numbers for the report.
Missouri’s revenue was greater than all but three public schools from the Big 12: No. 2 Texas, No. 6 Oklahoma, No. 26 West Virginia.
Eight Big Ten public schools generated more revenue than Mizzou, just two Pac-12 public schools (No. 23 Oregon, No. 29 UCLA) and four ACC schools. Illinois was one spot behind MU in athletics revenue, making $96,249,500. Illinois ranked No. 27 in athletics spending at $102,912,910.
This is what Mizzou signed up for.
- Most underrated team of the last five years, eh? That’ll change pretty quickly over the next couple of years unless there’s a bounce back in the works.
- So that whole “qualifying for the world championships despite a knee injury” thing was amazing, J’den Cox, but how’s that recovery coming?
- Max Scherzer: NL pitcher of the month.
- Kameron Misner: freshman All-American.
Also a huge congrats to @KameronMisner97 on being named Freshman All-America Second Team by @d1baseball #MIZ #C2E ⚾️ pic.twitter.com/AOhzFFbPjs— #MizzouBaseball (@MizzouBaseball) July 6, 2017
- Dave Matter’s 2017 preview series continues with a look at the Idaho game.
- Texas receiver and Mizzou target Kam Scott is not in a hurry to commit.
- Oh, stop teasing us, you guys...
July 7, 2017
July 7, 2017
- Can simple shots from practice qualify as a hype video? Because if so...
No shortcuts to reach the finish line.— Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouHoops) July 6, 2017
Only hard work. #MIZ pic.twitter.com/ho29n1I4iW
"The goal of @MizzouMade is to provide the best experience for our student-athletes"#ShowMe a #Mizzou job fair in STL last week#MIZ pic.twitter.com/QT7huL3ozx— Mizzou Athletics (@MizzouAthletics) July 6, 2017
- Five Mizzou athletes, including football’s Damarea Crockett and basketball’s Terrence Phillips, will be heading to Birmingham this weekend to participate in both the Student Athlete Advisory Committee and SEC Leadership Council meetings.
- Oh lord, in addition to the 1997 documentary, there’s also going to be a 2007 documentary for Mizzou’s SEC Network Takeover day ... handshakes all around...
#Mizzou, that's who!— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) July 7, 2017
Check out the documentary on the 2007 team during #Mizzou's @SECNetwork takeover day this month!#MIZ #ShowMe pic.twitter.com/LiPD59cV0X