Yesterday’s biggest football news came from off the field. Actually, it came from TSF.
COLUMBIA, Mo. – Less than 40 days after closing out the best fund-raising year in Mizzou Athletics history, the department kicked off the 2017-18 academic year by receiving an anonymous $1.2M gift to the Tiger Scholarship Fund (TSF) in support of the football and basketball programs, as well as future TSF initiatives.
"The generosity and passion that our donors have for Mizzou Athletics continues to amaze me, and our coaches and staff deeply appreciate the generosity of those who are stepping forward to help us enhance our programs" said Mizzou Director of Athletics Jim Sterk. "These transformational gifts allow us to provide the best possible academic and athletic experience for our more than 550 student-athletes who represent this great University."
An athletic director has a lot of hats to wear; at this point, we definitely know that Jim Sterk is a badass with the Fundraiser hat on. I guess receiving an anonymous gift through TSF was one of his easier wins, but hey, there’s nothing wrong with a little Obi-Wan mind control.
To actual, on-the-field links:
- JUCO defensive tackle Walter Palmore checked in at 6’4, 335 pounds and is ready to start helping #DLineZou. Defensive line coach Brick Haley noted that the dude is out of shape (which is to be expected when you don’t get cleared to join the team until after fall camp has begun), so we’ll see how much he can contribute.
- Terez Hall is a dynamite athlete who lost his fundamentals at times last year. He’s working to stand out on a fluid linebacker depth chart, though he evidently knows he’s a first-stringer on the Mortal Kombat team.
- It remains interesting to me that Barry Odom is listing nickel backs as part of the linebacking corps and has gone to the lengths of hiring an outside linebackers coach, in part to coach them specifically. That he hired his brother to this position is even more unique, obviously.
- Damarea Crockett has been trained properly in the art of always crediting your offensive line for your success.
And speaking of that offensive line...
- Oof. Former Tiger linebacker Donavin Newsom, working to land on the San Francisco 49ers’ roster, got knocked unconscious and suffered a concussion in a random collision with a teammate at practice on Tuesday.
- Another former Mizzou LB, Kentrell Brothers, embraced a special teams role with the Minnesota Vikings last year but is hoping to take on a bit more duty this fall.
- Here’s your daily reminder that Canisius transfer and potential Mizzou starter Kassius Robertson can shoot the damn rock.
- During Mizzou’s run of end-of-July football commitments, apparently the Tigers nearly scored one more: Montgomery (Ala.) cornerback JaKorey Hawkins was close to committing to Mizzou, and maybe others, before he decided to step back and take his time.