The East-West Shrine Game is this Saturday in St. Petersburg. While much of the media attention has been centered around now-former Ohio State quarterback J.T. Barrett, another player appears to have done a nice job of standing out on the first day of practice: Marcell Frazier.
#Mizzou DE Marcell Frazier 96 (opposite side) flies in for a sack, as #SMU DE Justin Lawler 99 converges from the near side. #ShrineGame pic.twitter.com/mM4bl2Y9kp— PewterReport (@PewterReport) January 15, 2018
First day of #ShrineGame practices are in the books. The #SEC was represented well today. Marcell Frazier looked explosive off the edge. Cory Helms, Jordan Thomas & Ethan Wolf all blocked pretty well.— Matt Stopsky (@MStopsky) January 15, 2018
Missouri DE Marcell Frazier has ideal size and a good wingspan to rush the passer. #ShrineGame pic.twitter.com/Klye5Do8Ni— PewterReport (@PewterReport) January 15, 2018
It’s very difficult to find any sort of consensus projection for Frazier — a cursory search turns up anything from “second day” to “seventh round.” How he performs this week, and how he tests in any future Pro Day opportunities, could make an immense difference in where he ends up.
At 6’5, 265, Frazier’s got decent size, and when healthy, he was all sorts of productive for Missouri. He had six tackles for loss and two sacks as a sophomore in 2015 and 8.5 and 7.5 in 2016, and as a senior this past fall, he put together his most well-rounded performance: 15.5 TFLs, seven sacks, five breakups, and 10 QB hurries, not to mention 32.0 overall tackles, seventh on the team and first among linemen.
- Remember Matt Eberflus, a.k.a. Gary PInkel’s former defensive coordinator and the least popular coach in Columbia in 2008? Yeah, looks like he’s about to become an NFL defensive coordinator.
- ESPN’s latest Bracketology is out, and Mizzou is a healthy No. 7 seed at the moment, one of eight SEC teams projected to get in. Yep, let’s just go ahead and end the season now.
- Can I interest you in my Monday Big Show appearance?
- The latest AP women’s poll is out, and Mizzou is up to 11th, the Tigers’ highest ranking since November 1984. This week’s opponents, Ole Miss and Arkansas, are a combined 3-6 in SEC play so far — here’s to hoping the Tigers reach the top 10 when they have to go to South Carolina next week.
AP POLL ALERT: Louisville reaches No. 2 in AP women’s hoops poll for first time in history after rout of Notre Dame. Full poll: https://t.co/p437O6cT9G pic.twitter.com/gHKnYCQmO6— AP Top 25 (@AP_Top25) January 15, 2018
- Early enrollees have enrolled early.
Mizzou semester begins tomorrow. Four of MU football's December signees listed as enrolled in student database: DT Antar Thompson, WR Harry Ballard, WR Dominic Gicinto, OL Mike Ruth— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) January 15, 2018
- The KC Star checked in on JYD.
- PowerMizzou checked has its latest recruiting refresher for 2018. Not great news abounds there, but Rivals made predictions on some of the best Midwest 2018 prospects remaining uncommitted, and you’ll like the Michael Thompson prediction.
- 247 checked in with Courtney Ramey for the latest on his recruitment. He still mentions Mizzou ... barely.