1. USA Today released its annual NCAA football coaches salary database.
The numbers aren’t really that surprising. Nick Saban is No. 1, Urban Meyer is No. 2, yada yada yada. Dabo Swinney is probably underpaid at No. 7 (how Jim Harbaugh, Jimbo Fisher and Gus Malzahn are ahead of him is beyond me).
Barry Odom? He checks in at No. 56, with a total pay of $2,350,000. That’s last in the SEC, $250,000 behind Mississippi State’s Joe Moorhead.
Does that matter?
For me, no, it doesn’t. Odom is 14-15 in two and a quarter years at Missouri; he also received an extension on Jan. 15, 2018, as was laid out in his original contract. One thing that every major Power 5 program has shown is a willingness to renegotiate for a successful coach; so as long as Odom keeps winning, his earning potential keeps rising.
His buyout is also one of the lowest in the Power 5, so that’s a significant fact if Missouri’s season goes south. At this point, there’s not much risk for Missouri as the season continues to play out.
Given this, Barry Odom got his money’s worth of questions during the SEC coaches teleconference on Wednesday:
No questions for Barry Odom on the SEC teleconference. "I must have done a great job at the press conference this week."— Dave Matter (@Dave_Matter) October 3, 2018
2. Missouri prepares for uncertainty at quarterback for South Carolina
I mean, I guess this headline by The State would make you think that, anyway.
But come on. Jake Bentley is going to be the starter against Missouri. No need for any uncertainty here.
3. The Nobel Prize is coming home.
I know this isn’t sports but anytime you earn one of the most prestigious awards in the world, you’re gonna get mentioned here. Sure, you may be the third item, but dammit, I’ll find room for you.
Congratulations, Dr. Smith! #MizzouMade
A beautiful ending to a fabulous day at Mizzou. The Jesse Hall dome glows gold tonight in honor of @MizzouBiology's George P. Smith's Nobel Prize achievement in chemistry. #NobelPrize @MizzouAandS pic.twitter.com/GD8cZaWE1c— Mizzou (@Mizzou) October 4, 2018
Yesterday at Rock M
- I don’t like to grab things from behind a paywall, but PowerMizzou.com doesn’t hide much with this headline: Missouri in contact with former Clemson QB Kelly Bryant. There are more details in the post, so if you’re not a subscriber, it’s worth at least a free trial to read the latest there. As far as I know, Rivals.com is the only outlet reporting this.
- Missouri-South Carolina is pretty much trending toward a pick ‘em, although Missouri was a favorite for some of the day on Wednesday.
- Mizzou women’s golf pulls away for fifth-straight Johnny Imes win