The season is only two weeks old, but after tonight, MU will be closing in on the halfway mark of its non-conference schedule.
Cramming in three games over four days will rapidly grow our sample size to gauge what kind of roster coach Cuonzo Martin has on his hands. The trip to the U.S. Virgin Islands has confirmed that, at least in the near term, this season’s identity will be rooted in the collective: team defense, gang rebounding and balanced scoring up and down the lineup.
While that might lead to some volatility on the offensive end, Martin’s teams have always been able to grit and grind to stay in contention. And as we saw against Kennesaw State and Oregon State, the balances ultimately tip based on whether the Tigers are able to to muster enough offensive juice to gain separation.
Tonight, relying on Jordan Geist stepping to the foul line and coolly sinking freebies might not be enough to pick off a top-15 foe in Kansas State. Yes, it’s still early, but MU’s displayed enough tenacity to make you think they’ll find a way to hang around.
Opponent: No. 12 Kansas State Wildcats (4-0)
Time: 6:30 p.m. CT
Where: USVI Sports & Fitness Center; St. Thomas, Virgin Islands
Is Mizzou Receiving Top 25 Votes? Nope.
What Does Vegas Say? Kansas State -7.5, O/U 129
What Does KenPom Say? Kansas State 69, Missouri 62 (Win expectancy: 25 percent)
Where To Watch: FloHoops ($)
Radio: Tiger Radio Network // Sirius/XM -119/199
Facebook: Mizzou Men’s Basketball
- Preview | The Paradise Jam final shapes up as a brawl between old Big 12 rivals
- Study Hall | Missouri 69, Oregon State 63
- Dive Cuts | Episode 41 - Paradise Jam Preview
- How many combined minutes will Jeremiah Tilmon and Mark Smith rack up?
- Which will be higher: Mizzou’s turnover count or its offensive rebound tally?
- Who will the leading scorer among this trio: Xavier Pinson, Torrence Watson or Javon Pickett?
- (not a question but...) Predict the score!
- Who is your trifecta?