Tre Williams arrested on suspicion of assault
It’s Finals Week at the University of Missouri, so ideally this would be the space where I get to write, “Hey, y’all, nothing happened yesterday!” Unfortunately, many of you probably know that is not the case.
Defensive end Tre Williams was arrested on Sunday morning after a verbal argument got physical. He was arrested for second-degree assault, a felony charge in Missouri.
Athletes facing felony charges may have their status modified or lifted by the the school’s Chief Student Affairs Officer, after which the athlete may appeal the decision to the university chancellor. Any athlete found guilty of a felony charge or who pleads guilty to a felony charge is barred permanently from participating in athletics at Mizzou.
Of course, speculating on the incident doesn’t help anyone in this case, so we’ll refrain here. Obviously, this is not a good look for Williams and could impact his status as a Tiger football player. Since Barry Odom has been coach, the locker room has been kept fairly clear of trouble, but these incidents are always testing for a coach. We’ll just have to see how it plays out.
Remember everyone: All non-recruiting football headlines from January until mid-summer are bad.
Some more positive football headlines
Peter Baugh had a really nice story on Drew Lock and how he’ll spend his last month as a Mizzou Tiger (student and quarterback.)
After Missouri’s regular season came to a close, Drew Lock called an audible with his sleeping arrangements. The quarterback dragged the mattress out of his bedroom and plopped it in the center of the living room, a place he’ll always be surrounded by teammates and friends.
He certainly has earned a month to enjoy himself and get ready to play a glorified exhibition game.
Speaking of glorified exhibitions, the Sports Business Journal listed out all the gifts college football players will receive when they go to their bowls. Missouri actually comes away with a nice bag from Memphis.
Shopping trip to Memphis’ Bass Pro Shops; Bose SoundLink micro Bluetooth speaker; Bulova watch; Nike athletic shoes; sport sandals; backpack and sunglasses; football
Comment below on which bowl you think has the best gift suite. Hawaii, Gator and Sugar bowls are all looking good to me.
As always, there’s a lot of good stuff at PowerMizzou. Gabe did his weekly Monday Morning Thoughts — plus a Q&A —, and Chad Simmons wrote an update on a 2019 prospect who has Mizzou in his final four ($$.)
Hey, nothing else happened Monday!
See, I still got to say it (kind of.) Good luck to all students (Mizzou and otherwise) taking finals this week.
Yesterday at Rock M
- The 12th Annual Rock M Nation Bowl Pick ‘Em Contest!
- The most important part of Barry Odom’s contract
- Missouri DE Tre Williams arrested on suspicion of domestic assault
- The Watch: Tennessee? Just fine. Auburn? Ditto. The rest of the SEC? Well...
- Here’s some clarity on the Aijha Blackwell situation — she talked to Steve Overbey at the Post-Dispatch and says she dropped out due to financial hardships. It sounds like Robin Pingeton wants to use the opportunity to get her on campus early.
- Not sports related, but congrats to professor George Smith for receiving a share of the 2018 Nobel Prize for Chemistry yesterday.
- If you’re looking for a gift idea for that special Mizzou fan in your life...