On Monday, I fielded strains of the same question via Twitter: Why did bracketologists drop Missouri? The Tigers have won four in a row.
Now, Bill C. dealt with that question in greater depth — the link is below — but I bring it up because I think the anxiety is misplaced. The Tigers are closer to Lock Status than they are to the cut line. And when you look at their KenPom rating (No. 37), Sagarin (No. 39), Bart Torvik (No. 36) and BracketMatrix, the Tigers have consistently hovered in the 8- or 9-seed region since beating Kentucky and Alabama.
So breathe. All is well. For now.
Sweeping this week would put MU on track to finish 24th in the RPI and at No. 31 for strength of schedule, per RPIWizard.com. Toss in at least seven Quadrant 1 wins, and the Tigers’ team sheet would pass muster with the selection committee, at least based on the tea leaves we can read after they released their initial Top-16 seeds on Sunday.
As for tonight’s task, Texas A&m could be reeling. Losing three guards in the span of 24 hours certainly counts as mass attrition. When confronted with turbulence this season, the Aggies haven’t exactly responded well. During a spate of injuries and suspensions in early January, they went 0-5 out of the gate in SEC play, pretty much nuking their chance at a conference title in little more than two weeks.
It’s fair to wonder about the state of the Aggies’ psyche. Do they pull tighter together? Or is this the final blow for a team whose adversity is largely its own handiwork? We’ll see.
- Preview | Figuring out which way Texas A&M is trending isn’t easy
- Analysis | ‘Just run the press breaker play,’ they said
- Bracketology | Missouri keeps rising. Can the Tigers keep it rolling this week?
- The Watch | Mizzou is in the thick of a fight for a double-bye in the SEC tournament
- Recap | Mizzou collapses, then wins anyway
- Study Hall | Missouri 89, Mississippi State 85
- Thoughts | Missouri overcame a surging MSU, and itself, to keep things rolling
- A Final Thought | Kevin F***ing Puryear!
- Dive Cuts | SB Nation’s bracketologist outlines NCAA tournament picture for the SEC
Opponent: Texas A&M Aggies (17-8, 6-6 SEC)
Time: 6 p.m. CT
Where: Mizzou Arena; Columbia, Mo.
Is Mizzou Receiving Top 25 Votes? Yes, MU picked up 14 points in the AP poll, putting the Tigers at 33rd
What Does Vegas Say? Mizzou - 1.0, O/U 137
What Does KenPom Say? Mizzou 69, Texas A&M 67 (Win expectancy: 57%)
Where To Watch: ESPNU/Watch ESPN app
Radio: Tiger Radio Network // Sirius/XM -119/199
Facebook: Mizzou Men’s Basketball
Live Stats: StatBroadcast
- Given the talent along Texas A&M’s front line, which Tigers big — Jontay Porter or Jeremiah Tilmon -- has the better night?
- What is Missouri’s 3-point percentage this evening?
- Jordan Barnett will be in the building, but how productive will be?
- (not a question but...) Predict the score!
- Who is your trifecta?