In the full-blown preview, I noted how Missouri positioned itself to make a push for fourth place in the SEC standings. We know what that means: double-bye time.
I don’t know if that’s wildly optimistic, but it’s certainly a conversational shift. Missouri is back in mock brackets. It’s stabilized after (yet) another hit to the roster and its psyche. And coach Cuonzo Martin is starting to get some buzz with Auburn’s Bruce Pearl and Tennesee’s Rick Barnes for SEC Coach of the Year.
In theory, the schedule eases up a tad as the Tigers face Ole Miss (No. 84 in KenPom) twice, host Mississippi State (No. 64) and a flaky Texas A&M (No. 26) at Mizzou Arena, and visit a flagging LSU (No. 68) to close the five-game stretch. Finding a way to 4-1 — putting MU at 19-9 overall and 9-6 in the SEC — would do wonders to lock up an at-large bid.
A week ago, we were talking about team trying to triage. Now, they may have a prime opportunity in front of them.
- Preview: Is this visit to Ole Miss a trap game?
- Bracketology(!): Where the Tigers stand after a lovely 2-0 week
- Recap: Missouri knocks off Kentucky
- Analysis: A simple and effective defensive game plan was the key for Missouri
- Study Hall: Mizzou 69, Kentucky 60
- The Watch: Kentucky is down, but likely not for long
- ‘Crootin: 3-star point guard Xavier Pinson commits to Mizzou
Opponent: Ole Miss Rebels (11-12, 4-6)
Time: 8:00 p.m. CT
Where: The Pavilion at Ole Miss; Oxford, Miss.
IS MIZZOU RECEIVING TOP 25 VOTES? No
WHAT DOES VEGAS SAY? Ole Miss - 1.5, O/U 145
WHAT DOES KenPom SAY? Missouri 74, Ole Miss 73 (Win Expectancy: 54%)
WHERE TO WATCH/LISTEN:TV: SEC Network, Tom Hart and Jon Sundvold
- Radio: Tiger Radio Network // Sirius/XM -119/199
Facebook: Mizzou Men’s Basketball
Live Stats: StatBroadcast
- Favorite Oxford-based author: William Faulkner, Barry Hannah, Larry Brown?
- Does Kevin Puryear’s rebound total exceed the tally of his shots blocked at the rim?
- What is Missouri’s 3-point shooting percentage?
- (not a question but...) Predict the score!
- Who is your trifecta?