It’s a hoops hodgepodge kind of day.
Mizzou Men’s Basketball has signed transfer guard Dru Smith to its 2018 recruiting class, head coach Cuonzo Martin announced Tuesday. Smith transfers from the University of Evansville, where he was one of the most efficient shooters in the nation as a sophomore and earned Missouri Valley Conference All-Freshman honors in 2017.
Smith started all 22 games he appeared in last season, reaching double figures 17 times and scoring at least 20 points in a game on four occasions. The Evansville, Indiana, native will sit out the 2018-19 campaign due to NCAA transfer rules and have two years of eligibility remaining.
”We are excited to welcome Dru into the Mizzou Basketball Family,” Martin said. “Dru is an experienced player who understands the kind of work ethic it takes to succeed at this level. He is a proven shooter and talented passer who can impact the game in so many ways. Dru will be an outstanding teammate and we’re thrilled to have him join the program.”
2. Assuming Jontay Porter remains in the draft, Mizzou’s not going to use a scholarship just to use it.
Here in Mendon, MO, at the #Mizzou Coaches Caravan, Cuonzo Martin says MU is not set on using the scholarship it would have open if Jontay Porter goes to the NBA.— Aaron Reiss (@aaronjreiss) May 1, 2018
Martin likes the flexibility of adding a transfer at the end of the fall semester.
Martin said he likes the flexibility of adding a transfer in December to fill that scholarship. Added that he won’t fill it just to fill it, it must be the right fit.— Cameron Teague (@cj_teague) May 1, 2018
3. UCF will be visiting on December 2.
The return game of the home-and-home series between Missouri and UCF will be on December 2nd in Columbia, per a source.— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) May 1, 2018
4. Keyon Dooling is awesome.
He’s opened up about mental illness in a way few athletes, active or retired, ever do.
Later that day, Doc came to see me, and I just decided that I’d finally had enough. I’d run away from the ghosts for so long, and they finally caught up to me in that room. I faced the truth, for the first time in my life.
Doc said, “Is there anything you want to talk about?”
I said, “Yes.”
“What’s going on, son?”
“Something bad happened to me when I was a kid. Real bad. I blocked it out. And now it’s all coming back, Doc.”
Yesterday at Rock M
- Mizzou Baseball went on the road and beat a solid Iowa team last night. But that sentence makes things sound way too orderly. This game was even nuttier than Sunday’s late loss to Kentucky, and that game was bonkers. Just look at the URL of the MUtigers.com link above, which was clearly created before the eighth inning. And just look at this s***:
Weird things that happened in this game:— Peter Baugh (@Peter_Baugh) May 2, 2018
-Pitcher @AndyToelken13 got a hit (very rare for college baseball)
-Steve Bieser got ejected
-Pitcher @CodySieb was used as a pinch hitter
-Iowa hit seven homers and lost
This was a nice win for #Mizzou in terms of RPI. It's a road win against a top-50 RPI opponent. The Tigers now have impressive non conference wins over Iowa, Missouri State (twice), Miami and Wichita State.— Peter Baugh (@Peter_Baugh) May 2, 2018
- PowerMizzou put together a list of the highest Mizzou draft picks at each position. Long before Mizzou was #DLineZou, it was #OLineZou, evidently.
Whether you play in the @NFL, run for office, work for the CIA, own a restaurant or practice law, when you're a part of the #Mizzou Football family, you're always a Tiger.— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) May 1, 2018
Write your own script. Go be what you want. #MIZ #ShowMe pic.twitter.com/qPd02KU58U
- The latest football offer is a local one: Rock Bridge receiver Martez Manuel.
- Eight months ago, Mizzou looked to have four basketball Porters in uniform: Michael Jr., Jontay, Cierra, and Bri. But Bri retired, Michael and Jontay declared for the draft, and now it looks like Cierra might retire early. From four Porters to zero?
- Yeah, so Mizzou Softball kind of gamed the system to make sure it ended up with a .500 or better record. All’s fair in love and tourney bids, I guess.
- Oh hey look, Karissa Schweizer won another award.
- Mizzou Hoops wasn’t the only squad to add a transfer to the roster — the Fightin’ Kreklows added William & Mary transfer Katie Turner, a defensive specialist and sophomore-to-be.