For a moment, though, let’s throw the focus back to Mike’s brother Jontay.
https://t.co/enoADF3fFN says Jontay Porter (Missouri) 1/1 favorite among players who withdrew from this year's draft to be lottery pick next year. Bruno Fernando (Maryland) and Kris Wilkes (UCLA) 2nd and 3rd choices at 6/5 and 2/1.— Jerry Tipton (@JerryTipton) June 19, 2018
Of those who withdrew from the draft this year, Jontay is given the best odds of jumping up into the lottery in 2019. That’s a strange distinguisher, really, but positive press all the same.
Jontay was also the subject of a lovely Athletic piece ($) about stepping out of his brother’s shadow and becoming a 2018-19 star.
The added quickness he expects from the diet and a summer working with Christopher should help in the expanded role Martin envisions for the sophomore. Jontay is skilled enough that Martin could run his offense through him and use him like a watered-down version of Ben Simmons. [...]
Unlike Simmons’s role with the Philadelphia 76ers, Martin is not going so far as to make the 6-foot-11 Jontay his point guard, but he wants him to be able to bring the ball up the floor and expand what he can do out of the pick-and-roll. To do so, Jontay says he needs to tighten his handle. He already has shown his gift for passing. As a freshman he had eight games with at least four assists, and among players 6-11 or taller, he had the highest assist rate (20 percent) in the country, according to Ken Pomeroy.
Best super-tall passer in college basketball.
Have I mentioned lately that I’m happy Jontay’s going to be at Mizzou another year? Because I’m happy Jontay’s going to be at Mizzou another year. I’m happy for him because it should pay off well for him. But really, I’m just happy for us.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Drew Lock as Patrick Mahomes II? Okay, sure, I’ll go with that.
- Recent Mizzou commit Connor Bazelak talked to his local news station about his commitment. (Also: credit Derek Dooley for Bazelak’s commitment.)
Alter QB Connor Bazelak (@BazelakConnor), the top QB in Ohio, says he's '100% committed to @MizzouFootball'. Why he chose the Tigers over 24 other DI offers. #MIZ #Mizzou @AlterHSFootball @gclcoedsports pic.twitter.com/kN87tiysQR— Erik Elken (@ErikFOX45Now) June 19, 2018
- This is a good list to be on:
Only 15 FBS teams return all 5 starters on the O-line. #Mizzou is one:— Shawn Davis (@ShawnDizzle77) June 19, 2018
San Diego St.
Mizzou allowed the 5th fewest sacks last year, 9th fewest TFLs
- PowerMizzou did a Where Are They Now? on former Mizzou kicker Jeff Wolfert.
- Mizzou hoops assistant Cornell Mann has a very talented, football-playing son — Maliq Carr — in the 2020 recruiting class. Maliq was on campus yesterday.
- Man, Karissa Schweizer is still getting about one award per day...
- The number of grad transfers is rising QUICKLY.
- Come to Summer Welcome, randomly meet Mizzou athletes.