1. Add LB Terez Hall to #WatchListSZN
Missouri linebacker Terez Hall was one of 51 players announced on the Butkus Award Watch List, 12 of which came from the SEC.
I’m not going to get on on a soapbox here for a second-straight day about Missouri players snubbed from the preseason all-SEC teams, but Hall could be poised for a big year in his second year as a starter.
(Daniel Jones of the Columbia Tribune mentions Hall as an “honorable mention” for his Missouri all-SEC snubs.)
If you’re going by Pro Football Focus grades — and they do a very comprehensive job of grading players on every play — Terez Hall AND Cale Garrett are two of the top 20 returning SEC players (not just linebackers or defensive players, but overall players) for 2018. Garrett actually graded out a little higher than Hall in 2017, but Hall’s second half of the season was among the best in the conference.
There are a lot of question marks about Missouri’s defense, especially the secondary, but having Hall and Garrett manning the middle of the defense should be a huge steadying factor.
2. Hey, Missouri gets a game in the SEC/Big 12 challenge!
The women’s basketball team will travel to face West Virginia on Sunday, Dec. 2.
Now, if only they’d select the men’s team for the SEC/Big 12 challenge. Missouri hasn’t been selected for that since the 2014/2015 season.
3. Missed this over the weekend — Karissa Schweizer signs with a professional team.
Last race of the season and first race in the new uniform! Excited to finally announce that I have signed with Nike and the Bowerman Track Club! Can’t wait to see what the future holds. #b⚡️tc #nike #miz— Karissa Schweizer (@KarissaSchweiz4) July 21, 2018
the famous @fajkirby pic.twitter.com/DdpIKERb3T
Before Schweizer signed with Nike and the Bowerman Track Club, she was still running as a Missouri athlete, despite graduating.
Yesterday at Rock M
- Dave Matter starts his camp preview with safety Joshuah Bledsoe (via stltoday.com)
- Matter also takes a look at how, surprisingly, Barry Odom is now one of the longest-tenured coaches in the SEC (via stltoday.com )
- Here’s a general preview of Missouri this season, from the Georgia 247Sports site. Nothing too earth-shattering here, but interesting to see how opposing writers view Missouri.
- Courtesy my pal and former coworker Nick Cole (now at Athlon), Missouri has two of the top 15 non-conference SEC games in 2018.
- The Kansas City Star catches up with the Junkyard Dog, DeMarre Carroll, ahead of his Columbia youth camp. Carroll says he’s “eager to assist the Tigers.”
- James Franklin had a rough start over the weekend and he’s dropping in the CFL QB power rankings.
- Max Scherzer — former Missouri pitcher, future Hall of Famer and unbeatable in Connect Four.