1. White helmets with the oval tiger coming our way?
Now, I don’t know if this is an official, school-affiliated account — although it is followed by Barry Odom and other players, coaches and athletic department staffers. But @MizzouEq (Mizzou Equipment) sent out this tweet below on Sunday:
Now, for me, if you’re going to go with a white helmet look, I’d much rather have Missouri make the white-and-chrome stormtrooper look vs. BYU in 2015 become a more common site.
At the same time, I HATE when helmets have two colors, but the uniforms have an additional color (looking at you, Los Angeles Rams). If you expand that picture above, it’s paired with a white jersey that includes both black and gold. So, add gold to this helmet or find a way to make it pair better with a white-and-black uniform.
Ok, I’m sure that’s just enough uniform talk for most of our readers, so let’s move on.
2. Good news about Michael Porter Jr... perhaps
Michael Porter Jr. told ESPN that he’s “pain-free” after a second back surgery — the first being the one he underwent in November 2017, while at Missouri.
This is probably the key from the article, and why the first surgery didn’t fix the entire problem:
“[Doctors originally] only thought one of [the bulging disks] was symptomatic,” said Porter. “They went in and fixed that one. Turns out that both were symptomatic. So my first surgery helped a lot but didn’t fix the entire problem.”
And, those quotes, coupled with some video of Porter looking smooth in a shoot-around, gives some hope that maybe his career gets and stays on track.
3. Letters from Camp!
Ben Frederickson of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch writes on the offensive line looking to earn respect.
The Columbia Tribune takes a look at new linebackers coach Vernon Hargreaves.
4. Top 7 for Mario McKinney Jr.
The 2019 4-star combo guard announced his final seven schools on Sunday and, yes, Missouri made the list:
Yesterday at Rock M
- I know people in St. Louis may object to this, but ESPN takes a look at whether Max Scherzer could win the MVP this year.
- Impressive showing by St. Louis golf fans this weekend, and also an impressive showing by the St. Louis golf/Mizzou fans, as shown by this tweet (Gary Woodland is a Kansas grad).
- Mizzou soccer rallied to beat Oklahoma State to close out its preseason schedule on Friday.