1. Tough break for Missouri WR/PR Richaud Floyd.
Missouri’s punt returner — and quiet second-team All-American according to CBS Sports — will be out for 4-6 weeks with a broken bone in his leg.
If the break happened Wednesday — and that’s when Floyd was spotted on crutches during practice — that means the earliest he could return (according to that timeline) would be the Purdue game. But, realistically, the end of that timeline coincides with the bye week after Georgia. So, I’d venture a guess that the South Carolina game on Oct. 6 might be more realistic.
Anyway, now Missouri has to look for other options in the mean time at returner. Barry Odom, after practice on Thursday, listed a few young players that will get a chance. This is via Dave Matter’s notebook from Thursday:
“Jalen Knox has really impressed us at that spot. Gicinto is in there, too,” he said. “Johnathon Johnson has been getting reps every day that he’s practiced.”
We’ll see whether it’s an established veteran or a young player. One thing that is interesting is that it appears Odom is set on having on offensive player serve as returner. Under Gary Pinkel, we saw more defensive players in those roles (not named Marcus Murphy).
2. 5-star PF E.J. Liddell schedules his official visits
Missouri gets a visit on Sep. 8 (Wyoming weekend), but it’s not his first visit — that’s Ohio State — or his last visit (Illinois). So, read those tea leaves.
Illinois Mr. Basketball winner EJ Liddell (@EasyE2432) has locked in his official visit schedule, he tells me.— Derek Piper (@DPiper247) August 16, 2018
OSU - 8/31
Mizzou - 9/8
KSU - 9/28
Wisconsin - 10/6#Illini - 10/12
He talks about what he's looking for & when he wants to make a decision... https://t.co/wqMozljHb1 pic.twitter.com/jGpZ2jKw6P
But also there’s this, from our very own super Sam Snelling:
Information gathered by @RockMNation has no real favorite at this stage, and it wouldn’t shock me to see EJ take all five visits before a commitment.— Sam Snelling (@SamTSnelling) August 16, 2018
3. Drew Lock doesn’t trifle fools in the autograph line
Good article by Alex Schiffer of the Kansas City Star, who talked to Drew Lock about his policy for signing autographs.
4. Letters from Camp!
Freshman Nick Bolton impressing in camp, writes Daniel Jones of the Columbia Daily Tribune
Ex-Longhorn Jordan Elliott steers career to Mizzou, settles in on defensive line, writes Dave Matter of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Yesterday at Rock M
- Stats man David Morrison breaks down how Missouri’s tight ends could be the best in the nation in the passing game this year.
- Poll! Who leads Missouri in receiving touchdowns this year? (Spoiler: It’s Albert O.)
- Tough night for Packers rookie WR J’Mon Moore, who also didn’t have the most reliable hands in college.
- I missed this on Wednesday, but SEC Network analyst Cole Cubelic lists Paul Adams among his top-5 SEC tackles for 2018. Cubelic is a former lineman and his analysis is really spot-on.
- Hey, this is pretty cool! Hope all the freshmen have a great 4-5 years in Columbia and remember most of it!
Last night was perfect! More than 4,600 freshmen gathered in Mizzou Arena for their #FirstRoar. At the event, they learned all the chants, cheers, and songs. Here’s my favorite - “Old Missouri” (our alma mater) #IChooseMizzou pic.twitter.com/Nz2cUI71uj— Aaron Cook (@mizzouaaron) August 16, 2018
- Another watch list for Drew Lock — this time it’s the Manning Award Watch List.