1. Projecting Missouri’s 2018 season
This past weekend was season previewin’ time for just about every outlet out there, and that includes the ones that cover Missouri. Here’s the breakdowns of their picks, with links to the stories that go game-by-game.
St. Louis Post-Dispatch (Dave Matter): 8-4, 4-4
Kansas City Star (Alex Schiffer): 8-4, 4-4
Columbia Daily Tribune (Garrick Hodge): 8-4, 4-4
As for me (and not that it matters), but I, too, think Missouri will go 8-4 — however, I think the Tigers will go 5-3 in conference play, beating Florida but losing to Georgia, South Carolina and Alabama. That fourth loss will, unfortunately, come to Memphis at home.
2. Missouri announces its captains for 2018...
... And not any surprises here.
2018 #Mizzou Captains pic.twitter.com/wjVhSPn5sg— Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) August 25, 2018
3. Final batch of season preview coverage
Let’s round up some of the coverage, going position-by-position.
Back-to-back bowl bids would bolster Odom’s program (Benjamin Hochman, St. Louis Post Dispatch)
*While I agree with Hochman’s premise — that a bowl this year would mean Odom wouldn’t be coaching for his job in 2019 — I disagree that it would simply bolster the program. Fact is, a 6-6 regular season and a bowl loss, with this offense, is going to be kind of a gut punch, in this writer’s eyes, anyway.
Breaking down Missouri’s positions (Dave Matter, St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
Lock expects to thrive in final college season (Dave Matter, St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
Lock’s last chance (Daniel Jones, Columbia Daily Tribune)
The Big ‘O’ in Missouri’s offense (Cameron Teague-Robinson, Columbia Daily Tribune)
Beckner sets sights on 2018 and beyond (Daniel Jones, Columbia Daily Tribune)
Offseason conditioning paying off for Walter Palmore (Mitchell Forde, PowerMizzou.com
4. SEC Championship odds
So you’re telling me there’s a chance?
Odds to win the @NCAAFootball Southeastern Conference (@betonline_ag):— OddsShark (@OddsShark) August 26, 2018
Mississippi State +1400
LSU/South Carolina +2200
Texas A&M +3300
Ole Miss/Tennessee +6600
Yesterday at Rock M
- Experience at linebacker could be Missouri’s key to defensive consistency
- It’s Terry Beckner Jr. and who else on Missouri’s defensive line?
- Bill C.’s 5 favorite Missouri seasons of the last 20 years
- A good reminder and overview from the Columbia Daily Tribune: The South Endzone construction will cause some substantial changes to gameday at Faurot Field this fall.
- Mizzou volleyball splits the final day at the James Madison Invitational.
- Tough loss for Mizzou soccer at Colorado... 6-0 is never an easy scoreline on the pitch.
- Great catch, Trey Harris.
You get to celebrate if you make a catch like this. Amazing acrobatics from @JustCallMe_Duce. @TheRomeBraves @Braves— Minor League Baseball (@MiLB) August 26, 2018
- It’s one of the most marketable stars currently in the world and Chris Pratt:
It’s a small wrestling world out there, you never know where this sport will take you, or who you will meet. @prattprattpratt #Awesome pic.twitter.com/Gyznyv2j0D— J'den Cox (@MATrix_8692) August 24, 2018